Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kena1921, Oct 14, 2013.

1. kena1921 macrumors newbie

Hi

Is the current Thunderbolt Display still the one launched in July 2011? If so any rumours when an updated model is likely to be launched?

Many thanks

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Were not sure if Apple will released a new TB Display. Apple seems to be not that keen on competing under the monitors category. Maybe the sales turnover here is slower compared to portables and iPads. And also the pricing of other third party brands were lowered.

4. animatedude macrumors 65816

i'm surprised not enough people are asking for it and shocked we didn't get any rumors about it recently!

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

6. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Surprised they didn't shrink it like the iMac. The demand must be incredibly low for them not to pay attention to the monitor at all.

7. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Man, I was really hoping for an update today.

8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

I was hoping for a new display to go with my rMBP, but I guess not. :(
    This was the whole reason I was excited about the event.

9. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Me too man, me too.

10. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

11. zerocool42 macrumors newbie

I was really hoping for at least a small update with Thunderbolt 2, considering the new rMPBs and MacPros have it. Maybe a silent update in the future?

I've been contemplating replacing my 2011 cmbp and macpro with a new rMBP + thunderbolt display, but there's no way I'm buying one of the current ones.

12. yinz macrumors 6502a

Maybe they don't sell enough thunderbolt displays to care....

13. Xerotech macrumors 6502

I hope the new display won't be TBD 2.0 only. That would drive me nuts.

Hopefully, there'll be a silent refresh soon. I even checked the website in hopes of it already being out. The waiting game starts again. This time December.

14. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

There is no such thing as "TB2-only". Thunderbolt v2 ports are backwards compatible with v1 peripherals (just like USB3 is compatible with UBS2).

TBD update won't be silent - they will likely introduce 4K display resolution alongside TB2/USB3 ports. I don't see this happening before Fall 2014.

15. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Gotcha, not good with hardware. I figured Apple would throw in some stupid reason to force you to get a new computer, haha. "Not enough bandwidth." etc. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Does it necessarily have to be a 4K display and not a slight revision for a thinner design? Stuff like the mac mini and some MBP users won't need a 4k.

16. g4cube macrumors 6502a

As only some pricing for the Mac Pro was announced, and you cannot even order one yet for December delivery, I suspect that the revised display will be announced ad delivered at the same time.

17. PoppaKap macrumors regular

I don't think Apple will update the display until next year. I really don't see them updating a display silently in December. I'm giving up on Apple supporting peripherals.

18. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

There isn't much point in refreshing TB display without resolution uplift. Apple does not really compete in the monitor business, and I don't see them changing the display design just for the sake of making it thinner.

Not going to happen.

19. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Maybe just adding USB3 ports would be a major plus. :confused:

20. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Remember when Apple used to make printers?

IDK, I think maybe in december Apple will sell a 4K display in store/online at the time of Mac Pro availability, but, maybe not their own brand, that black Sharp monitor looked nice in the event vids.

But, the currently display may or may not see an update by end of year.

Apple isn't in the monitor business, just like they never really were in the printer business. In the sales business it's what's called an amenity to offer it, adds to the sale of a mac mini, but, not necessary.

The computer hardware and software are what make the Mac Pro, the monitor is neither here nor there (you can get a quality monitor from several manufacturers that specialize in such.) So, if Apple makes it, they will have one 4K monitor, and perhaps an updated 27" display that shares main parts with iMac...they won't be going back to offering several monitors as consumers use laptops and tablets more than desktops these days anyway. The 4K display & Mac Pro are for a more specialized professional computer user.

21. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I'm definitely more inclined to say Apple's more or less giving up on the display category. I think they'll continue their stock, and maybe a couple small updates, but nothing meaningful. Which sucks, as theirs are the best looking (maybe not the best performing, but by far the most attractive) monitors out there.

But who knows. Maybe we'll see a 4K refresh next year.