ThunderBolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jondunford, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

I have a few questions, I am not looking at a current TBD but for the purpose of my questions just assume I am as I believe the answers will be the same. I am looking at using ethernet for a future TBD+laptop, or desktop computer.

1. How does internet with the ethernet port work with a laptop (with no ethernet port) connected to the TBD? Assuming I connect the ethernet to the TBD, do I need any extra wires for the laptop to get internet, or does it pass through the Thunderbolt connection?

2. I currently have an ethernet cable going into my router, and another ethernet cable to go from the router into whatever device I want internet on. Assuming there are no other devices using the internet connection, do I actually need to use the router or can I just remove it and have one wire going straight into the TBD/iMac/Mac Pro?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Exactly. The ethernet travels over the Thunderbolt cable. You will want to go to System Preferences in the Network pane and click the cog at the bottom then set service order and put ethernet at the top of the list. Otherwise the Macbook will just stay in the wifi connection when you attach it to the Thunderbolt display.

[​IMG]

2. Yes, that would work fine, but you are better off having the router there to serve as a hardware firewall between you and the Internet as added protection against hackers etc.

3. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

Thanks very much, that priority thing is an added bonus too, I was expecting to have to manually switch every time I disconnected my MBA from the TBD :D

The reason I was wondering abut the router was that I hear a lot of people say routers affect the performance of the internet connection?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not really at all. I suppose if you had a really lousy router and did a lot of downloading, like BitTorrenting, that can crash a router. But for normal Internet usage, a router won't slow you down.

5. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

Thanks again, I'm more of a gamer/stock trader so I favour lag/ping and reliability, download speed is not really a focusing point. Am I right in thinking the router will not be an obstacle to this?

thanks very much

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A router won't be a problem for that at all.

7. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford