Thunderbolt Displays in Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by glenwheeler, Feb 10, 2013.

1. glenwheeler macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

This has possibly been answered on here somewhere? I've had a look around and can't see anything so apologies if I have missed it.

I am looking to buy a large screen and was looking at the thunderbolt 27" however I'm a little worried if I buy one they will release a retina display model a few months down the line. Does anyone know if they are due to release any or have there been any rumours?

Thanks,
    Glen

2. simsaladimbamba

It is highly unlikely, that such a display will be introduced this year, as a desktop display is farther away from the viewer and already has a good PPI.

But then again, I may be wrong. But we also do not know of any current rumours.

PS: Your link in your signature is defunct.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There have not really been any solid rumors, but my thinking is a new TB display will come out mid-year along with new Haswell chipset Mac portables. I suspect it will have the new laminated display found in the current iMacs and USB 3.0. My guess is there is about zero likelihood of a Retina TB display as the amount of pixels that would need to be driven would completely overwhelm the GPU in the Mac portables.

4. wessew macrumors member

Generally agree with the above comments. However, the USB ports on the existing Thunderbolt display are really dated. In the very least, the USB 2 ports need to be updated to USB 3 even if retina is not coming this year. That alone would cause me to wait, given that USB 3 up to 10X faster and is backwardly compatible with USB 2. An upgrade may also involve the thinner design profile...You would also get the benefits of the reduced reflexivity of the current 27" iMac screen.

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Everyone just needs to be patient, they have to get the supply of 27 inch imacs stable first.