Thunderbolt Display's lack of power button

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neilmacd, Aug 10, 2012.

1. neilmacd macrumors 6502

I was just about to click 'Buy' when I realised I'd not seen any mention that the Thuderbolt/Cinema display does not have a power button :(

I was planning on buying one to go with my mini, which when I'm not sitting in front of it will mainly be used to serve media and download stuff.

I'll more than likely spend most of my time using screen sharing/iTeleport on my iPad to work on the mini. Whenever I log in remotely the screen is going to come on, acting as a very expensive room heater :(

Does anyone know of a way, other than literally unplugging the thunderbolt cable, to keep the screen off when not in use?

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I wish there was a way to do this. I hate that my iMac screen comes on when I remote into it. I wonder if it would be possible to change a preference file or something to only allow the keyboard to turn the monitor on. I know they changed it to where the mouse won't wake the screen anymore...

3. neilmacd thread starter macrumors 6502

Same situation, it's probably the main reason I got the mini, my iMac screen always seemed to be on.

4. neilmacd thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, so, looks like I'm just going to have to do it the old fashioned way - flick the switch on the power strip. Not quite the Apple way :rolleyes: I'll just have to make sure the display is at the end on any daisy chain.

Speaking of daisy chains. What would happen in I linked my mini to my iMac, to use the display in target display mode, then linked the iMac to a TBD??