Thunderbolt Displays Shipping to Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've received multiple contacts that individuals have started receiving ship notices for their Thunderbolt Displays this morning. Scott from New Zealand offers up the above ship notice and expects delivery by tomorrow morning.

Forum readers have been organizing in this forum thread while waiting for deliveries. We'd previously reported that Apple had begun shipping demo units to stores last week. Apple has also been releasing various software updates to prepare for the display.

Apple yesterday pushed out a 60.30 MB Thunderbolt Software Update to provide support for the display.
This update provides support for the Apple Thunderbolt Display and bug fixes for Thunderbolt device compatibility.
This company this week has also been pushing out firmware updates for its latest Mac models, addressing compatibility with the new display as well as issues with Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode and Lion Recovery over the Internet.

Article Link: Thunderbolt Displays Shipping to Customers

Colin L

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Display on the way

Yup, mine confirmed as shipped, and to be delivered before 22nd Sept (est.) I'm in Malaysia so it takes about 5 days shipping from China.

Looking forward to it

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I guess Apple made the display-cable short because now you can chain the second display in the first using TB… Always thinking ahead at Cupertino ;)

Erickt

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
My date slipped.... :(

My delivery date moved from 23 Sept to 28 Sept.... no explanation. I'm unhappy,but patient.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Anybody knows if these have a dedicated GPU on board? That might be an interesting way to go as mentioned here (http://www.cringely.com/2011/08/is-the-mac-pro-dead/)
They do not.

It would be interesting, but only if you bought a Sandy Bridge MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, or quad-core Mac mini (base model price range $999-$1599) that lack the option for a dGPU, and then decided that you wanted better than iGPU performance when connected to an external display that as it stands costs $999. For everyone else, it would make the display considerably more expensive, complex, hot, and power hungry. 10 Gbps is also slightly anemic for the PCIe traffic to and fro a modern GPU, especially since this display has many other features which also require PCIe bandwidth.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I remember those apple displays always had a crisp image. But after seeing the price tag it feels like over kill (for me at least). I mean you could buy an air with that thing!

Then again a Mac Pro with one of these would be the ultimate designing experience!!! :D

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just placed and order for two and now it's saying "Ships Oct 6, Delivers Oct 14".

Ah! What's taking them so long to make these things?!

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My order was set to ship today but I received a delay notice. Should ship on 21th.

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
I ordered mine on Sep. 1, ship date showing online is Sep. 23. I work across the street from an Apple Store, though - if it arrives in the store before mine ships, I'll cancel my order and just grab it from the store.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Supplies must be extremely tight, I still have yet to read a single review of these, not even from review sites.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I remember those apple displays always had a crisp image. But after seeing the price tag it feels like over kill (for me at least). I mean you could buy an air with that thing!
I know what you mean, but consider that a few years ago Apple's slightly larger 30" Cinema Display was selling for around 4 grand. If these displays have pro level specs (black level, color gamut, even backlighting with no light leakage on the edges, etc.) then it's actually not overly expensive. But that's why I want to see some technical reviews of these monitors, if they simply repackaged an iMac display, I'll be disappointed, as they're pretty mediocre. If it's a true Cinema Display caliber screen I'll be ordering right away and selling my iMac (I'll use it with my Air and/or a new Mini).

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
I am now the proud owner of a Thunderbolt Display. I've been calling the local apple store daily checking if they've arrived, figured if they showed up before my online order shipped, I'd just cancel and buy from the store. Well, they showed up at the store yesterday, so I did exactly that.

Brought it home (it is HUGE!) plugged it all in, and noticed that none of the devices I was connecting to the monitor (usb keyboard, gigabit ethernet, firewire 800 drive) were connecting to the mac. I was getting power to the drive, but the laptop wasn't seeing any of the devices. I rebooted the macbook air, and I was off to the races, no issues after that.

Not really much to say about the display, it's gorgeous, just as gorgeous as apple displays are supposed to be. But the docking capabilities are just wonderful. I use aperture a lot, and the ssd on the mb air isn't big enough to hold my library (not even close...) So I keep the library on an iomega drive, which I used to connect to my old mb pro with firewire 800. Since I got the air, I've been using USB 2.0, and aperture has been much slower. Now with the thunderbolt display, I'm back on firewire 800 and it's fast as hell.

Also noticing major boosts from being on gigabit ethernet. Even though I don't generally do much to tax the bandwidth of my wifi n, there must be a lot of latency issues, because everything runs so much faster over gigabit.

Long story short, the display is the absolute perfect companion for the macbook air, even moreso than a macbook pro since the display gives you capabilities (firewire 800, gigabit) that the laptop doesn't even have, as opposed to a mb pro which has firewire 800 and gigabit already.

It's almost as if they designed these products to work together......... ;)

joelmacdonald

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Just picked up a Display tonight. First person in the north east of scotland to get one apparently! Can't wait to get it hooked up onto my desk tomorrow.

Also Hello everyone, first time I've been allowed to post on here due to previous employment restrictions! ;)

threeonezero

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Seattle WA
got mine today.

working great from my 15" mbp. is their a way to use the speakers from both monitors? oh and can totally tell the difference between my iMac, which is almost 2 years old, and the new display. looks great!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.