ThunderBolt Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Hello all,

I'm aware that all current Mini DisplayPort monitors support the use of the new ThunderBolt port on 2011 MacBook Pros, but I am wondering if anyone has heard of any upcoming displays that natively use ThunderBolt? The advantage, I suppose, would be an outgoing ThunderBolt port present on the monitor, so it wouldn't have to be placed at the end of a ThunderBolt chain.

Let me know if you've heard of anything.

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Re: ThunderBolt Display

You probably want the on the end of the chain anyway. The link to the last device is only as fast as the slowest device in the middle. Slowest devices belong at the end of the chain.

3. Mix macrumors member

I think the OP wanted to know if there are any displays with thunderbolt inside so in theory it wouldnt matter if the display was in the middle or at the end.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

In all of the demonstrations and all of the documentation I have seen have stated that displays need to be at the end of the line. I think the point is that you won't ever see thunderbolt enabled displays (at least not any time soon). Who would want to make a device as expensive as a display that only works on a handful of comptuers. At least if you design a display with displayport, it works on more than just 2011 MBP's (dells, HP's, Apples from 2008+, etc).

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt we would see Thunderbolt specific displays; the market is too limited for mfgrs to make one.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Bingo. It's not that they can't, it's just that manufacturers (most likely) do not want to absorb the cost of an additional port on the back, plus the required controller chip. Money talks, folks.