Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superfly611

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm looking for A way to expand my 2011 iMac to be able to handle USB 3 byway of the thunderbolt, A Blu-ray drive 5.25" but slim if its possible like a laptop size drive slot load preferably but not totally essential, as well as a hard drive preferably A 3.5'' internal to act is my time machine backup. I only saw one external dock made by "Sonnet" called the "Echo 15 Pro+ Thunderbolt 2 Docking Station" I would put a link but the last time I did something like that I got locked out of an account On another site because they said I was advertising?? I don't know, so I'm just being cautious and not putting any links in.
Not sure if there's an option to put on 802.11ac as well??

Anyway, can anyone make any other recommendations of something similar?

Thanks

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm looking for A way to expand my 2011 iMac to be able to handle USB 3 byway of the thunderbolt, A Blu-ray drive 5.25" but slim if its possible like a laptop size drive slot load preferably but not totally essential, as well as a hard drive preferably A 3.5'' internal to act is my time machine backup. I only saw one external dock made by "Sonnet" called the "Echo 15 Pro+ Thunderbolt 2 Docking Station" I would put a link but the last time I did something like that I got locked out of an account On another site because they said I was advertising?? I don't know, so I'm just being cautious and not putting any links in.
Not sure if there's an option to put on 802.11ac as well??

Anyway, can anyone make any other recommendations of something similar?

Thanks

I went to amazon.com and type "thunderbolt dock" into the searchbar and the first page that was displayed had 6 different docks, from different manufacturers, listed. All possible solutions for you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Somewhere here on the macrumors forums, there is a good thread listing all the available thunderbolt docks. Worth a search...

Superfly611

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I went to amazon.com and type "thunderbolt dock" into the searchbar and the first page that was displayed had 6 different docks, from different manufacturers, listed. All possible solutions for you.

Yeah I did the same thing but they don't have Blu-ray drives in them or hard drives. They are just for extra connecting ports such as thunderbolt, USB 3, eSATA and video. I'm looking for something that has or I could put a hard drive in and blu-ray. In my searching I've only found the one made by Sonnet.

"Fishrrman, I will definitely try to search more on the forums and see if there's any other listings of thunderbolt docks with the hard drive and Blu-ray.

Thanks so far!

Superfly611

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010

You don't happen to remember the term you used when you searched for the docks On this forum do you? There's a lot of results when I searched Thunderbowl dock..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.