Thunderbolt Dock Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamescharley22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

I bought my first Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock from Amazon about two or three weeks ago. I was having Mini DisplayPort passthrough issues when connecting to my HDTV. The TV will cut to black for a few seconds then resume displaying what ever I have up for about 7-10 seconds then it'll cut to black again. Occasionally, I get about a half second of video static right before it cuts to black.

I have perfect, undisrupted connection when I plug directly into my MacBook. I also stole my mom's monitor, switched the passthrough to my VGA adapter and plugged in. Her monitor works perfect with or without passing through the dock.

I called Belkin Customer Support for the first one, and they said it should be replaced but it'd have to be done through Amazon so they left me with a case ID incase Amazon asked for one. Amazon took it back and sent a brand new one without hesitation. Despite all the effort to get a functioning product in my hands, I still encounter the display passthrough issues.

Should I try another replacement or should I return the dock and consider other docks?

2. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an HDCP HDMI handshake problem.

I don't have a solution.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

How are you connecting to the HDTV? Does it support DisplayPort or are you using a MiniDP to HDMI adaptor?

4. jamescharley22 thread starter macrumors member

jamescharley22

I'm using an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort cable. I tried taking the extension coupler I have out of the equation (mDP -> HDMI = HDMI -> HDMI) cable and plugging the mDP -> HDMI cable directly into the dock, same problem. Everything works when I plug directly into my MacBook. I'm gonna try the family TV in a bit.