Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hey, i have a Macbook Air that misses a lack of connectivity
I recently bought couple usb and adapter stuffs
An 4 ports hub usb self powered + Ethernet to gigabit usb 3.0 + Thunderbolt to HDMI
I had issue with data transfer through Ethernet, big data transfers from my local NAS to my Macbook Air, continuously failed. As result, whole Ethernet connection eventually dropped.
I am wondering if a thunderbolt dock would be an overall better choice?
+ No more local data transfer issue
+ Less cables to handle
+ All In One vs 3 devices
- Very pricey!!!

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I have two Startech TB docks that provide excellent ethernet support.

USB is more of cheap consumer grade stuff. Although there may be a couple good ones, any thunderbolt dock will out perform them by a wide margin for general purpose use.

wuush

macrumors member
May 4, 2014
Do you wanna spend that much money just because your Ethernet Connection doesn't work 100% ?
If its just because of that you should maybe think about purchasing the official Apple Ethernet Adapters (Thunderbolt or USB)
I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter and it works flawlessly. There might be a problem with your USB-Hub or Ethernet-Adapter.
If i were in your position i wouldn't spend that much money (on a TB-DOck) just because the Ethernet doesn't work 100%.

1. Thunderbolt 2 is already outdated (Skylake will use TB3 and a new Connector)
2. A Thunderbolt2 Dock is really expensive compared to a USB-Solution.
3. A Macbook Air isn't meant for heavy workloads (What do you use it for?)
4. The Macbook Air is probably getting replaced by the Macbook Retina and USB-C/TB3 will be the new connector for everything that is still wired.

EDIT: http://de.ianker.com/product/A7514041 what do you think of this?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Yes you re right, its too expensive for my use
The ethernet hub usb that you ve linked
I used similar one from Hootoo, i had many connection issues with it
I ordered, separate hub usb + ethernet usb 3.0 adapter + mini dp to hdmi/dvi adapter
For less than 50$ while a thunderbolt docking station would cost not less than 230$

wuush

macrumors member
May 4, 2014
You could try a powered USB-Hub. Im not an expert but thats what i would do.

How fast is your NAS does it need Gigabit Ethernet? (You could try the Apple USB-Ethernet Adapter)

Did you check your Ethernet Cables? (CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6?)

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Yes no probl with my ethernet cable, CAT6 i guess
Wifi: 200 mb (real speed)
Ethernet: 500 mb (real speed)
Wifi is fast enough but it doesnt mean i have no issues, speed transfer from NAS to Mac, seems to be a bit slow, HD movies have some lag while in ethernet it doesnt
I ordered an ethernet usb adapter + a self powered usb hub + bus powered usb hub

wuush

macrumors member
May 4, 2014
What happens when you plug the ethernet-usb adapter directly into your macbook?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I had connecting issue with ethernet usb hub which is bus powered
Now i ordered self powered hub + another bus powered hub
+ separate usb ethernet adapter
My assumption is ethernet usb hub is unreliable if you need to transfer huge local folder (that contains many files)
If i connect ethernet adapter right directly into Macbook, i would bet i wont find any connecting or transferring issue

zettabyte

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
StarTech Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet with USB 3.0 Adapter Model #(TB2USB3GE), works excellent. I have both the Apple Ethernet -> Thunderbolt adapter and the StarTech, but I prefer the StarTech because you can use both the Ethernet and USB 3.0 at the same time, while working just as well than the Apple Adapter. It's very solid. + It won't cost you $200+ for a dock.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I got ethernet adapter and self powered usb hub today
Ethernet adapter doesnt work on Windows lol although i have installed drivers
I use both OSX/Win
Dunno why it doesnt work anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.