Thunderbolt Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wmleler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. wmleler macrumors newbie

wmleler

What I really want is a computer dock based on Thunderbolt. Is anyone building something like this?

* Plug a single (Thunderbolt) cable into my laptop. Dock has a bunch of connectors:

* USB -- personally, I don't care if they are 2.0 or 3.0. I just want to be able to plug in my keyboard and mouse, and other USB gadgets I have (maybe an external DVD or even Blu-ray writer).

* Firewire, USB 3.0, or even better yet, eSATA -- something I can plug large fast external hard drives into.

* At least two monitor connections -- could be mini displayPort, HDMI, or DVI or even better all three. Should be able to drive at least 2560 x 1600. Extra points if I can drive three monitors, but even two would make me happy if the laptop screen was still active.

* Audio (optional) - an analog headphone jack, line in, microphone and line in, and optical digital in and out would be nice. But I could always get something that plugs into USB to do this.

* A Thunderbolt connector so I can plug other Thunderbolt peripherals into the dock (if/when they become available).

How hard can it be to make something like this? I would be willing to pay a BUNCH of money for it. Why? I do work where I need lots of screen real estate and disk space, so I own a Mac Pro with three 30 inch monitors. But I can't take that with me so I also have to own a notebook. My notebook is powerful enough that I could use it as my main computer, but it can only drive one external monitor. Plus it is a pain having to plug and unplug a bunch of cables to my notebook and the lack of expandability. Not to mention having to deal with keeping my two computers in sync.

With a decent Thunderbolt dock, I wouldn't have to buy a Mac Pro, so the dock could be expensive and still save me a ton of money. And would be far more convenient.

2. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

3. tomville macrumors newbie

yeah? Can you explain?

4. esco macrumors 6502

esco

The new Apple Cinema Display is essentially a thunderbolt dock.

5. dlegend macrumors 6502

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would like to know if anything like this exists as well. I already have an Apple Display (previous generation with the DVI port), so a box that plugs into the thunderbolt port with all the connections that the new Apple display offers would be very appealing. I would much rather drop $150 - 200 on something like the OP has described than a grand on a new display.

Unfortunately, kind of to answer my own question, I doubt anyone will come out with something like this, especially when its market would probably get smaller as time goes on. However, my point is that someone should make this.

7. rwkrajewski macrumors newbie

A company called BookEndz (www.bookendzdocks.com) are testing one for release shortly if that helps.

http://www.BookEndzDocks.com/Curren...kEndz_Docking_Station_for_13_MacBook_Air.html

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That would be a great idea- you could use two Dell monitors with it and reduce cable clutter instead of having to buy proprietary Apple monitors. My current dock isn't the cleanest thing in the world, it's made out of a twist-tie, and has GbE, MDP, USB, and audio in it.

And I'm jealous of your setup, even though I have plenty on a single 23". :D