Thunderbolt docks and bus power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikerahl, Jan 28, 2015.

1. mikerahl macrumors newbie

Anyone know if any of the currently available Thunderbolt Docks or Thunderbolt 2 docks can be run using purely bus power (powering from the thunderbolt port rather than the AC adapter)?

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I think if you are running minimum connected devices, you should be able to do it.

But, the nature being a dock for connecting multiple devices, I don't see why you wouldn't need a power supply to power the devices and keep the connection stable?

3. mikerahl thread starter macrumors newbie

It's more for the flexibility. I like having a dock when I'm traveling to mount up a couple of peripherals (say a spare SSD, a storage drive, and a mouse), and the dock looks really practical as it wouldn't tie down my USB ports, not to mention being much better positioned than the USB ports. I was thinking the dock would be ideal for this reason.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The TB2 port itself isn't strong enough to power any dock available.

5. mikerahl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so it's not like a USB3 hub, which can be fully bus powered. Thanks for that, answers my question.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even a USB 3 hub has to be bus-powered once you fill up the entire hub with external drives.

7. mikerahl thread starter macrumors newbie

Surprisingly that hasn't been an issue for me. I load the USB hub up with 1 mouse, 1 external HD, 1 external SSD and a USB3 flash drive (with a full SSD inside) and I have no issues at all with stability.

8. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

What hub are you using? The one I have can't support 2 external hdds running on bus only.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

I haven't seen any TB or TB2 hubs that will do this.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I don't know why you would want it to be bus powered. It would put a strain on your rmbp, as now it has to supply all that power.

11. katit macrumors newbie

Any recommendation for TB dock? Ideally it would be something simple, I just need KVM+speakers pretty much. So, couple USB3s, speakers and Display port would be enough.

I understand Apple does not allow charging cables to be manufactured by 3rd party, so they always kind of "in holder".

P.S. This is for 13" MBPr

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've been using a CalDigit Thunderbolt dock for quite a while now and am very pleased with it.