Thunderbolt docks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rawraggi, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rawraggi macrumors newbie

Hey guys, silly question here, but I couldn't seem to find an answer for it(making the question look even sillier to me :rolleyes:)

I was thinking about getting a rMBP in a few weeks and a Thunderbolt dock(something like this) to plug in a monitor and ethernet.

Now, here comes the silly question, would this charge the rMBP over the thunderbolt cable, or would I still need a charger connected to the rMBP?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

MacBooks can't charge via Thunderbolt, you'll still need a MagSafe connector.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The "this" isn't shipping.

Only the Belkin and Matrox docks are shipping at present.

4. rawraggi thread starter macrumors newbie

Aye, I know, I'm planning ahead atm :p

So I guess I won't need a dock since I'll only be connecting it to a single monitor(to begin with;))

One other question, can I use mini-dp adapters with the thunderbolt ports or do I need specific thunderbolt adapters to convert to dp/hdmi/dvi ?

5. opinio macrumors 65816

Expensive to buy a T-bolt dock just for ethernet and a display.

Get an Apple Gigabit T-bolt adapter for only a few dollars. You still then have T-Bolt port (+MDP) and HDMI spare for the display.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter?fnode=51

The only difference between running your configuration on a dock and running it direct from the rMBP is one cable.

6. rawraggi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, since it doesn't charge I'll simply run a magsafe cable+mdp cable neatly onto a stand (belkin/mstand) for easy plugin, and move my router closer and rely on wifi. :)