Thunderbolt drive enclosure only?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xgman, Apr 9, 2012.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Are there any TB drive enclosures on the horizon as enclosures only, (no drives inside)? If not, are any user replaceable for both 2.5" and 3.5" versions?

2. mac26 macrumors 6502

Try the Thunderbolt Go flex adapter, it is $99 (plus $50 Apple TB Cable) and it works with any go flex drive or any 2.5" SATA drive.
    Currently it is the cheapest and only (not sure about only part) solution for TB

Hope it helps :)

3. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

4. mac26 macrumors 6502

No problem, glad I could help! :)

5. joudbren macrumors regular

Lacie has just launched their eSata Hub for Thunderbolt. $199. This allows you to connect up to two eSata drives (I'm assuming in their own enclosures) and then connect them to a Thunderbolt port. I'm still digging up info on this one but it looks intriguing. Apple TB cable still needs to be purchased separately though.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10574

Cheers!

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Any updates on this? Are there any RAID enclosures with TB that you can put your own drives in?

7. joudbren macrumors regular

I've heard lots of stories about this adaptor freezing and locking up computers. From what I'm reading (and it makes sense) is that the people having the issues are possibly using SSD drives that require more power than the Go Flex STAE121 can provide as it is non-powered. Seems to be anything over 256GB (depending on the brand) can cause issues. Smaller SSD drives seem to be working fine. Seagate does however offer a larger STAE122 adaptor which can handle bigger drives and does have it's own power brick for about $179 or so plus of course the $50 Apple TB cable.

Both adaptors can deal with bare SSD drives as the connection port is a standard SATA connector but it's a bit of a kludge and you may need to jury rig the drive so that it sits stable on the connector. Not sure if the connector is SATA II or III on these Seagate adaptors. I suspect Sata II. At that price the Lacie hub makes more sense as it can handle two external SATA drives for $199 (but also limited to SATA II). You can buy external SATA II enclosures for cheap and then install whatever drive(s) you want with the Lacie. (again, limited to SATA II and still needs the TB cable as well)

Cheers!

Edit: STAE121 does not have a TB daisy chain port so it is the end of the line in any TB solution. STAE122 does have extra TB ports for pass-through.

8. TechCF macrumors newbie

Drobo is coming out with a 4x 2,5" SATA enclosure for Thunderbolt (dual ports). It looks small enough to go in a backpack. Great for mobile lab enviroments.

For those not familiar, Drobo is a no maintenance automatic RAID disk enclosure. It will present a very large volume and just ask you to replace the smallest disk when the array is full. Very easy and "Mac-like" storage.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

10. xgman, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

11. DragonJade macrumors 6502

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

13. EmpyreanUK macrumors regular

The Qnap JTB-400 is a four-bay BYOD enclosure, but, as always seems to be the case with any Thunderbolt product, there's not word on pricing or release.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Still no pricing or release date on the Caldigit drive. The Belkin and Matrox docks were supposed to be released in September. Does that mean the 30th of September? What is the hold up? Also I've seen previews/reviews of the Promise J2 TB drive, but, again, no word on pricing or release.

:mad:

15. Mr. Retrofire, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

16. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I don't think you can buy this without drives nor will it work with any other drives...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5797/...x-desk-and-western-digitals-thunderbolt-duo/3

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You can buy the 4 TB variant, and you can use the 2x2 TB drives in other enclosures.

AnandTech is misinformed (or the PR contact @WD). The (WD Green) disks use the standard SATA-III protocol.
    This is a warranty problem, not a technical problem. Faster drives (7200 RPM) overheat in this enclosure.

And please read this sentence again:
    The only problem in such enclosures are 7200 RPM drives. The 5400 RPM drives have a higher storage density, run cooler and are faster compared to many 7200 RPM drives. And btw, read the feature list on wdc.com!

18. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

The Belkin dock is delayed till 1st 1/4 2013. Seems like Caldigit is the best bet for daisy chaining removable storage unless that gets delayed too.

by the way, that comment about not using 7200 speed drives in external enclosures is nonsense. Been using them for years with no issues whatsoever.

19. g4cube macrumors 6502a

That would be a bad bet since Caldigit has not been able to send any of these to its resellers yet.

Announced in Spring 2012, but still not shipping.

LaCie, WD, and G-Tech have no problem shipping drives, and all 3 have drives that can be daisy-chained.

Refurbs like the LaCie 2big mentioned elsewhere knocks the price down quite a bit.

As for 7200RPM and externals, all of the above manufacturers offer 7200RPM drives.

20. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

What I need is empty TB enclosures with extra TB daisy chain ports on them. I don't see any for sale anywhere through the end of this year.

21. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Correct. Not likely to appear.

Did you call CalDigit to see when they might appear? These were announced almost a year ago, yet still no price or delivery info.

You can also purchase one of the refurb 2big disks that others have purchased from MacMall if they are still available. For $299, you get a dual drive enclosure and 2 3.5" SATA drives. Not a bad deal.

Or if you are really clever (and tech-savvy), purchase the LaCie Thunderbolt Hub, disassemble it, and place into your own favorite chassis.

Or purchase the Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex Desktop Adapter, and do likewise.

Those are the only options you have until someone else delivers.

22. sfxguy macrumors regular

The Drobo 5d started shipping today.

I have one on the way and it is supposed to get around 400 MB/s.

23. mario24601 macrumors regular

Or get Ministation, rip out reg drive and put SSD into. Will be very fast, comes with cable. Only downside, you can't daisy chain.

24. xgman, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

MacMall is out of the 2 drive refurbs. So far the Mybook TB Duo's seem to be the best option. 2 drives per and replaceable. Still almost $500 a pop if I want to use 1TB velociraptors and have a couple extra drives sitting around. Again, unfortunately a TB drive with only 1 connector is useless.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=630

I wonder how noisy these things are fan wise.....

25. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Any other TB enclosures released recently? I am looking for a 4 bay enclosure.