Thunderbolt eGPU to Support multiple monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackdbird, Feb 8, 2016.

1. blackdbird macrumors newbie

blackdbird

Hello there , i m having a little bit of a problem , right now i m running 2014 macbook pro retina display with 750m graphics with running 2 monitors Dell U3415W [3440X1440] & Dell U3014[2560X1600] , anyways i want to tryout this eGPU stuff so can utilize both of the monitors as the 750m is not powerful enough to hold on to these two displays , i got frequently memory full error which i think is related to gpu vram and i have to force close most apps so i m thinking to utilize a external gpu to power both monitors so i don't get that error , so can someone help me out with that as i don't have 4000$ just to buy mac pro right now ,

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

The 2014 15" with the 750M dGPU should run those two monitors on its own with no issues at all. Even two 4K monitors should be fine. Something's up with your machine if it isn't running properly.

3. blackdbird thread starter macrumors newbie

blackdbird

i got this problem often while using 2 monitors

Attached Files:

4. v3nom macrumors member

Maybe your RAM is full? What apps are you running?
    I would only recommend considering an eGPU, if you are willing to NOT use the MBP Retina Display. Only without the internal display eGPU performance is good.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My guess would be that they are running of the integrated graphic card, and not the 750M, since you are running out of system memory.

6. v3nom macrumors member

But aren't external monitors always running on the dGPU?

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No idea. But since an integrated card uses system memory, it would make sense, since OP sees that error.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

External displays always call for the dGPU if present, iGPU & system memory are not the issue. Likely an application responsible for the memory usage, try using Activity Monitor to view the systems memory usage.

Q-6

9. blackdbird thread starter macrumors newbie

blackdbird

well i again hooked up the second monitor U3014 and trying to see if i get that error again also i noticed one thing that if i start doing many tasks at the same time the fans crank up at full and computer starts to slow down even if i m using just U3415W , as this is the top of the line retina and if this is the memory issue then i will be highly considering hackintosh [which i absolutely HATE ] until new mac pro arrives or egpu with 970 or 980 and i m not going to do gaming on this machine ...