Thunderbolt Enclosure for 2 x 1tb Samsung Evos

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoastingPig, Mar 3, 2014.

1. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Now that i i have a new mac pro on deck should be coming soon. I want to buy a thunderbolt enclosure. My entire Portfolio of art and videos is around 1.45gb. Theres still some projects im working on and my old usb 3.0 hard drive can be such a lag when loading my photo libraries. I wan't to know what a good enclosure would be that is relatively silent and has enough throughput to reach almost max speed if both ssd's were in a raid 0 configuration on a sata 3 bus. the drobo mini looks appealing at first but the numbers says it's slow so i want to avoid that unit.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There are a lot of enclosures that will do the job, but before you buy, consider this...a RAID array is NOT a backup....I have 4TB of priceless, irreplaceable media that occupies all the space on my Pegasus R4, but I also have a mirror copy on a much cheaper 4TB Usb 3 drive...Both are capable of streaming so I wouldn't give up on the USB3 idea completely....

Enclosures:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...closure+thunderbolt&sprefix=SSD+enclo,aps,280

Just a few that are available, but if you plan on running RAID0 ( which I do on the Promise ) I'd be sure that you have a complete backup of your media on another device.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Not sure how quiet it is, but the soon to be released Caldigit T2 sounds like it might be something you'd be interested in.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt/t1t2.html#T2

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That looks like something I'd be interested in too....Being able to switch out the fans for short periods of time is a good feature....My R4 isn't really noisy, but you would;t want to be recording while it's on....No ability to cut the fans off, but I can understand why.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

6. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

I found pages on the CalDigit website too - but .....

Here is an email I got from them in December when I inquired:

The T1 & T2 have been shelved in favor of the T3. We are opening preorders for the T3 in the next week. It will be based off of Thunderbolt 1 (Cactus Ridge) technology.

Best Regards,
    Sales Department | CalDigit Inc.
    sales@caldigit.com

So I would check with them again before waiting on it to be released.

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

8. RoastingPig, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

the t3 raid is available now its $449...don't want, that thing is probably so loud.

im looking forward to reviews of the new OWC thunderbolt devices especially the On-The-Go Pro

Attached Files:

9. Giuly, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

10. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

If putting in 2 x Evo Pro SSD's as Raid 0 would you get more performance from a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure compared to all those ^ Thunderbolt 1 enclosures?

11. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

these cal digit drives don't allow you to install your own drives...they are removable drives but only with the ones they sell they have a head thing screwed on with some some proprietary screw

12. RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

depends on how efficient the thunderbolt 2 header is..some companies just slap on thunderbolt just cause not knowing that its a cheap quality and the performance sucks