Thunderbolt Enclosure for 2 x 1tb Samsung Evos

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Now that i i have a new mac pro on deck should be coming soon. I want to buy a thunderbolt enclosure. My entire Portfolio of art and videos is around 1.45gb. Theres still some projects im working on and my old usb 3.0 hard drive can be such a lag when loading my photo libraries. I wan't to know what a good enclosure would be that is relatively silent and has enough throughput to reach almost max speed if both ssd's were in a raid 0 configuration on a sata 3 bus. the drobo mini looks appealing at first but the numbers says it's slow so i want to avoid that unit.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Now that i i have a new mac pro on deck should be coming soon. I want to buy a thunderbolt enclosure. My entire Portfolio of art and videos is around 1.45gb. Theres still some projects im working on and my old usb 3.0 hard drive can be such a lag when loading my photo libraries. I wan't to know what a good enclosure would be that is relatively silent and has enough throughput to reach almost max speed if both ssd's were in a raid 0 configuration on a sata 3 bus. the drobo mini looks appealing at first but the numbers says it's slow so i want to avoid that unit.
There are a lot of enclosures that will do the job, but before you buy, consider this...a RAID array is NOT a backup....I have 4TB of priceless, irreplaceable media that occupies all the space on my Pegasus R4, but I also have a mirror copy on a much cheaper 4TB Usb 3 drive...Both are capable of streaming so I wouldn't give up on the USB3 idea completely....

Enclosures:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ssd+enclosure+thunderbolt&sprefix=SSD+enclo,aps,280

Just a few that are available, but if you plan on running RAID0 ( which I do on the Promise ) I'd be sure that you have a complete backup of your media on another device.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I wan't to know what a good enclosure would be that is relatively silent and has enough throughput to reach almost max speed if both ssd's were in a raid 0 configuration on a sata 3 bus. the drobo mini looks appealing at first but the numbers says it's slow so i want to avoid that unit.
Not sure how quiet it is, but the soon to be released Caldigit T2 sounds like it might be something you'd be interested in.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt/t1t2.html#T2

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not sure how quiet it is, but the soon to be released Caldigit T2 sounds like it might be something you'd be interested in.

That looks like something I'd be interested in too....Being able to switch out the fans for short periods of time is a good feature....My R4 isn't really noisy, but you would;t want to be recording while it's on....No ability to cut the fans off, but I can understand why.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
I found pages on the CalDigit website too - but .....

Here is an email I got from them in December when I inquired:

The T1 & T2 have been shelved in favor of the T3. We are opening preorders for the T3 in the next week. It will be based off of Thunderbolt 1 (Cactus Ridge) technology.

Best Regards,
Sales Department | CalDigit Inc.
sales@caldigit.com

So I would check with them again before waiting on it to be released.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Here is an email I got from them in December when I inquired:

The T1 & T2 have been shelved in favor of the T3. We are opening preorders for the T3 in the next week. It will be based off of Thunderbolt 1 (Cactus Ridge) technology.

Best Regards,
Sales Department | CalDigit Inc.
sales@caldigit.com

So I would check with them again before waiting on it to be released.
the t3 raid is available now its $449...don't want, that thing is probably so loud.

im looking forward to reviews of the new OWC thunderbolt devices especially the On-The-Go Pro

Attachments

Last edited:

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
If putting in 2 x Evo Pro SSD's as Raid 0 would you get more performance from a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure compared to all those ^ Thunderbolt 1 enclosures?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
If putting in 2 x Evo Pro SSD's as Raid 0 would you get more performance from a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure compared to all those ^ Thunderbolt 1 enclosures?
depends on how efficient the thunderbolt 2 header is..some companies just slap on thunderbolt just cause not knowing that its a cheap quality and the performance sucks