Thunderbolt enclosure question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kirkbross, Jul 24, 2014.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

A single Thunderbolt enclosure with multiple 3.5" drives connected to an iMac... does it mount each drive separately or must they each be in their own enclosure and daisy-chained? Or...?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

With most multi-disk enclosures it can go either way. You usually get some options for different kinds of RAID or that the dives show up individually.

You don't specify which product you are talking about, but in general normally there are switches inside you can set.

The way to find out is to download and read the user manual BEFORE you buy.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Thanks! I haven't chosen a model yet... they seem to be pretty expensive and most are just dual drive enclosures. I haven't found a 4 drive solution yet, but I'm still hunting.

4. hfg, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If they have "JBOD" mode, then you can access the drives individually, although you can RAID-0, 1, or 10 yourself within OS X using Disk Utility. Otherwise, they will probably have a hardware RAID in the enclosure and will appear as a single drive to OS X. The enclosure will have multiple eSATA connectors for the drives, and present a single pass-though (usually) Thunderbolt interface to the computer.

If you want the flexibility of a Thunderbolt JBOD enclosure, I like the OWC "Thunderbay IV" (or the new TB2 "Thunderbay 4"). Both are available as bare enclosures, or already configured with drives (and SoftRAID-5 if desired). Fast and quiet!

Do a search on Amazon and you will find all price ranges of enclosures to do what you want. Most will have eSATA, USB 3.0, and FireWire interface choices. Some will be Thunderbolt. Read the reviews, some will be quite noisy and may be objectionable to you.