Thunderbolt Ethernet dropping in Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notverycreative, Dec 9, 2012.

1. notverycreative macrumors newbie

I've been using the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter on my rMBP for a few months now and it was working fine, but a few weeks ago it started to stop working. It drops after about an hour or so the first time, but after a restart it may stop as quickly as a few minutes after booting it up. It still appears in Device Manager, but it loses its connection somehow and refuses to reconnect, even after unplugging/replugging both the cable and adapter individually and together. It works perfectly fine in OSX, though. It's becoming an issue, anyone have any ideas?

2. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I was under the impression it didn't work in Windows at all because there supposedly is no driver for it. :confused:

You actually got it to work in Windows? I've never tried the Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter, but I can tell you the USB/Ethernet adapter does indeed work just fine in Windows.

3. notverycreative thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it works fine. Some drivers for it came in the Boot Camp driver bundle, or you can use the generic NetXtreme drivers from the Broadcom site. Both work, but both have the dropping issue for me. Windows doesn't support hot-swapping of Thunderbolt devices because they're technically treated as pcie devices, which Windows need to load drivers for on boot only.

4. Badoobie macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me...

...on an rMBP.

It's a problem for me as I sometimes have long running SQL scripts processing. What has worked (sometimes!) is to hot switch the Thunderbolt cable to the other port.

I'd welcome a more elegant and permanent solution though