Thunderbolt ExpressCard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ageostrophic, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Ageostrophic macrumors newbie

I have a 2007ish MacBook Pro (MacBookPro4,1). Has anyone heard to a Thunderbolt capable ExpressCard that I could slip into my laptop? I'm thinking about updating my external hard drive and it just seems foolish to get a USB2 one.

Cheers

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

According to this: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/sonnet-announces-thunderbolt-expresscard34-adapter/10959 one is coming out pretty soon.

But why not go with FW800 Instead?

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

4. goMac macrumors 603

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Considering the lack of Mac compatible USB 3.0 adapters as well as the lack of thunderbolt devices (all of which utilize high bandwidth) I can assure you that we WILL NOT see a thunderbolt expresscard. I'd wager to say that Ex34 is waning or even dead tech now, save for your interfaces such as the Apogee products or video applications.

And as mentioned above, the thunderbolt to pci-express adapter announced by magma has absolutely nothing to do with expresscard 34.

6. Ageostrophic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was afraid it might not happen. My laptop is getting a bit older now anyway. It's just tough to see this cool stuff come out and not be able to use it.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless you use an SSD as an external, thunderbolt is "too fast" for a traditional platter HD, FW800 is about as fast as most external hard drives can reach.

It's not thunderbolt, that's for sure, but you wouldn't see a difference between the two anyway.

8. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

USB2.0 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

You likely wouldn't get thunderbolt speed from an express card anyway