Thunderbolt External Drives - speculative pricing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Awjvail, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Awjvail macrumors 6502

What do you think the first Thunderbolt compatible drives pricing will be like?

Do you think it'll be sky high? Reasonable price?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. amarcus macrumors 6502

Keep going up until you see the clouds and then you know what they'll be priced at!

4. toxic macrumors 68000

I'd take USB 3 prices and double or triple it. first, TB is only available on Macs, which automatically means a price hike, and second, it's new and economies of scale will work against it.

5. joaoferro99 macrumors member

I dont think TB drive will cost that whole a lot, unless you buy the one with SSD or raid drive. otherwise regular single drive would not cost too much, if they sell in high price, people will go back to firewire drive anyway.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Describes me perfectly. And I think I've average in that regard. I don't NEED thunderbolt speed, but I'd like it. But honestly, right now, I'm running multiple daisy-chained FireWire 400 drives right now for audio and I have no complaints.

So a lot of us will wait patiently for them to come down to reasonable levels. Same goes for SSD actually. Don't need it, but it'd be nice. But only when 512gb drops to under $250. Might take a while, but I'm not in a hurry.

7. hutchej macrumors newbie

hutchej

Lacie has sent out a press release stating they have a new Little Big Disk coming out towards the summer. I imagine it will be pretty pricy, likely a about $500 with drives maybe.

8. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

people have a brand new port... they will pay pay pay to play with it... drives are commodities these days, new TB vendors have no interest in competing in the low cost market. they will leave it to the people happy with usb or firewire