Thunderbolt External Drives??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tekboi, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

So, I currently have two Western Digital External HD's. One of them is hooked up to my iMac via FW800 and the other one is NAS so it's hooked via my router. The speeds on my NAS drive are CRAP and the FW800 drive is okay but could be much faster when streaming HD movies and working with audio files in my DAW.

Now i'm looking for a Thunderbolt External Harddrive. Can someone who already has an External TB Drive guide me on which one to buy?

2. simsaladimbamba

With streaming HD videos, do you mean H.264 or similar compressed entertainment videos or HD footage using an editing codec? Because the former is working with USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 quite fine, the latter can be stressing with FW 800 though, especially with playback of multi-cam footage.

3. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

I'll do you one better. There's currently an adapter for GoFlex portable drives for Thunderbolt, but what they don't tell you is that the adapter actually uses mSATA. What this means is you can get the adapter (which costs around $99, depending on where you get it from) and use any internal mSATA drive, SSD or otherwise, and instantly create an external Thunderbolt drive. It's quite handy. Refer to this post for a little more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17023251&postcount=3

4. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I'm streaming the mentioned formats along with a couple of .mkv files that are 10gb+. I've never been able to play a single .mkv file all the way though without lagging of some sort.

----------

Sweet! thanks for the link. Seems like a much better option for my pocketbook.