Thunderbolt Firmware 1.2 Update won't away...updated several times

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Anyone know how to get this to go away from the App store? I've done the update a few times and it keeps appearing in my software update list.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
Home is everywhere and nowhere.
Oh, wow. I didn't know that. Sigh. I'm a damn noob!
The reason is, if you were low on battery and start the install and then the Mac runs out of juice while updating it will get you an unbootable Mac.
It is firmware, firmware controls your Mac Hardware, with a corrupt firmware you have a brick, so Apple does a good job on this, as most others.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
The reason is, if you were low on battery and start the install and then the Mac runs out of juice while updating it will get you an unbootable Mac.
It is firmware, firmware controls your Mac Hardware, with a corrupt firmware you have a brick, so Apple does a good job on this, as most others.
I figured it wouldn't let me update if it recognized it was low enough on battery (sub 25%). Not sure how a 30 second install could drain any battery fast enough, but I guess it's a nice safe measure.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
isn't there another quirk that allegedly each end of the thunderbolt cable needs to be updated (each end has a separate mote-pc is how I understood it) I dunno as I haven't tried updating my TB cable yet?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
isn't there another quirk that allegedly each end of the thunderbolt cable needs to be updated
No. This update can be applied without a cable being attached, and there is no mention of needing to connect a cable.