Thunderbolt --> GbE adaptor - odd behaviour after migration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theSeb, Jul 10, 2012.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I received my rMBP last week and I had ordered the TB-->GbE adaptor. I normally would set up the machine from scratch, but I was too lazy and my MBA was perfect so I used Migration Assistant to transfer apps, documents and settings from the MBA to the rMBP. Everything was working fine until I tried the GbE adaptor.

When I first plugged it in, the rMBP took me directly to the network settings page and said it needed to initialise the new network interface. Great. Or so I thought. It correctly listed Thunderbolt Ethernet in the list of interfaces, but it stubbornly refused to accept that a cable was connected. I tried various cables and different ports on my router and nothing helped. I even tried to use the other Thunderbolt port, to no avail. I started thinking that maybe the adaptor is broken so I tried to use my old USB Ethernet adaptor on the rMBP and what do you know? It wasn't working either. Great.

I then tried both the USB and Thunderbolt adaptors on the MBA and they were working perfectly fine. I swore a bit at this stage.

Luckily, I found that you simply have to remove the USB and Thunderbolt interfaces from network settings and add them again on the rMBP. I suspect that something had gone wrong with Migration Assistant in the settings transferral. After I did that both adaptors started to work on the rMBP....

Except that my so called Thunderbolt Gigabit adaptor was only transferring at 11 MB/s to my Synology NAS, which is just over 100 megabit speed.

$%£$!!! &*^ $£^$%!!!

I then realised that it was actually still transferring over wifi :eek:, despite the Ethernet connection being on and after I disabled wifi, I got around 96 MB/s. Result.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. Transferring gigabytes of stuff back and forth to my NAS has now become a pleasure.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i wonder if thunder bolt will become so mainstream that it is on nas boxes...

5. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Some of the NAS manufacturers have already announced such products. It won't be a NAS by the pure definition of what a NAS is, but we will start seeing more products like the Pegasus.

QNAP, one of the main players in the SOHO NAS market, have announced a BYOD Thunderbolt enclosure. Unfortunately it does not have hardware RAID.

I see Drobo are planning to release some TB boxes as well.

The big advantage of NAS is that it's a separate little computer and can do all sorts of things without a separate computer running. A thunderbolt enclosure cannot do this, since it needs a host computer to connect to.

In theory someone could try to create a NAS box with target disk mode via Thunderbolt.

I've recently got my Pegasus R4 and the performance is :eek: :eek:

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i've been thinking about getting a synology box for a while. thinking about the DS112+, or 212+

7. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

I have the 1511+ and it's a great thing. I use it to stream full size BR and DVD rips.

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Am i right in saying that you can set up downloads on the disk station and leave them to download, without having to remain connected?

9. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, that's right. It's a little server so it does not need a client to be connected to continue doing stuff.

10. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

it's my new saving goal! the finances just took a bit of hit for this new rmbp.