Thunderbolt Hard Drives - advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by siritalks, Sep 7, 2012.

1. siritalks macrumors member

I really need a new external hard drive as my current one is about 2GB from being full.

Ideally, I'd like to get a Thunderbolt one to take advantage of the speeds. However, I know some of them are very expensive, and some of them also don't seem to give that good a speed.

Could anyone recommend the best ones to look at within a budget of £400max, 2TB upwards ideal, good speeds (much better than Firewire and USB2), and ideally not too loud?

2. carestudio macrumors 6502

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

They aren't shipping, and pricing has not been announced. Definitely look interesting, but they were announced awhile ago, with promises to ship soon. AT IBC this week, another announcement, but no pricing or delivery info except "soon".:)

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

WD My Book Thunderbolt?
    Not sure of prices though.......

5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Google is your friend on prices.

LaCie 2big is faster than WD. LaCie uses 7200RPM and WD uses the slower Green drives.

WD also recently announced new 2 drive configuration using 10K RPM Velociraptor drives which should be faster, but the review at Anandtech indicates not necessarily so:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6216/western-digital-my-book-velociraptor-duo-review

I read somewhere else that drives are limited to WD models only, whereas the LaCie will work with most any SATA HDD or even SSD.

6. intermedial macrumors newbie

I've got a LaCie 2big. Love it.

In Raid0 it pushes ~350 MB per second. Half that in Raid1