Thunderbolt HD + BootCamp possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coopiklaani, Sep 28, 2011.

1. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

Just bought a little big disk recently to go with my MBA, and it's really great.
    The first thing I want to do is to create a bootcamp partition for windows, so i can run some CAD tools and other windows only applications.

Is it possible to install windows in the thunderbolt hd. if so, how?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this should be possible, but apple would have to write BootCamp drivers to have compatibility in Windows. until that is released, the answer will be no :(

3. coopiklaani thread starter macrumors member

coopiklaani

Thanks for fast reply,:)
    Guess I'll have to stay with parallels for now.

Another question
    Is it possible to convert a parallels windows to a "real" windows by any chance?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is your best bet i think

hmm. good question. i know it is possible to go from a real machine to parallels very easy on a mac (click 1 button ha!). the other way is not
    "supported" as far as i know... it is, of course, possible to some extent - it may require lots of "hacking" though, might not be worth your time...

edit: it is possible, 48 steps later!

5. coopiklaani thread starter macrumors member

coopiklaani

Thanks again
    Just read through the 48 steps guide :eek: . Way toooo much effort than just reinstall windows again... Guess a fresh reinstall of windows is still the best solution for me:)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i agree with that, and after that - THEN you tell parallels to use the bootcamp partition. done :)

7. coopiklaani thread starter macrumors member

coopiklaani

One last question,
    How do I install applications in thunderbolt drive rather than internal HDD?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if it is a simple application (such as an application where you drag and drop the application from a .dmg disk image into your applications folder) - drag it onto that thunderbolt hard drive and place it in an applicable folder.

if it is a installer file (such as Microsoft Office) - it will have an option to install it to particular drive/folder during the install :)

9. coopiklaani thread starter macrumors member

coopiklaani

I was trying to install logic pro on my little big disk. It didn't allow me to choose where to install the main programme. I could only redirect some of the audio content.
    Anyways I can install logic pro completely on a thunderbolt drive?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Some apps are unfortunately hard coded to be installed on the boot drive. And moving them after they're installed could potentially break something. For those apps, probably best to just tolerate them being installed on the boot drive.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I've never installed logic pro before, so unfortunately I don't know the install procedure to this, but there is normally a "customize" button during the install and you can change the location. If this is not the case here then maybe it can't be moved :/

12. coopiklaani thread starter macrumors member

coopiklaani

I did manage to put some of the content (about 30GB) on the external drive. but most of the core stuff ( about 15-20GB ) are hardwired to the internal drive. It requires to be installed on the same partition as the OS. I searched high and low, still, no work around:mad:

13. wfielder84246 macrumors member

Sorry to change subject somewhat but OP can you use the thunderbolt drive when in windows? Is there drivers for it?