Thunderbolt HD crashes Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SBruv, Nov 5, 2015.

1. SBruv macrumors 6502

Hi all.

I'm running Windows via Boot Camp from a Thunderbolt SSD on my late 2015 27" iMac, and everything's working great, apart from one thing…

My 6TB WD Thunderbolt hard drive, formatted HFS+J and used for Time Machine in OS X, crashes and reboots the Mac a few seconds after it boots to the Windows desktop, every time. If I unplug the drive, all is well, so it's definitely the culprit.

Obviously, I don't actually need the drive to work in Windows at all, but I'd love to not have to unplug it every time I switch from OS X.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone know how to disable one Thunderbolt port in Windows only? ;)

I know Windows doesn't read or write to HFS+, but it's meant to actually crash the machine, is it?

Thanks!

S_B

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never gotten thunberbolt to work with Windows, I don't know if they have the drivers fully vetted out, either Apple or MS.

3. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that's the weird thing: until two days ago, when I formatted my TB drive (just a reformat from HFS+ to HFS+ again, so no change in file system), it had been working absolutely fine. And my whole Windows partition is on a TB SSD, so I've had great success with Boot Camp and TB previously. :(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe it was because I was using an older version of windows (8.1 and the win 10 preview) but it never worked, to the point I largely gave up

5. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been happily running Windows off my TB SSD, with the now-offending TB HD attached, for three years, since Windows 7, but I never used Windows 8, so yeah, maybe that's a factor.

6. SBruv thread starter macrumors 6502

Solved it, in case anyone else has the same problem.

It's actually Apple RAID that causes the issue, not TB.

All you have to do is get Windows into Safe Mode, then disable all of the offending discs in the RAID array in Device Manager. Easy. :)