Thunderbolt HDD Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by asdad123, Jul 20, 2012.

1. asdad123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I recently got a great deal on a 512gb OCZ Octane Drive (only $100 :eek:), and currently have it in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

I am getting a thunderbolt Display on monday and would love to have the SSD plugged into the thunderbolt port on the back of the monitor, but I can't seem to find a thunderbolt enclosure for HDDs anywhere.

The two options I see are buying a GoFlex thunderbolt adapter and thunderbolt cable (about 150) or buying a Buffalo 500gb thunderbolt drive which already has a cable ($200) and putting the SSD in there instead of the HDD.

Are there any other options?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really. Thunderbolt peripherals are still very expensive and not widely available.

3. ollyb macrumors member

I could be wrong here, but I thought the port on the back of the thunderbolt display was just a display port and not another full thunderbolt port. Intended usage being just daisy chaining another display. Another option could be the goflex desktop thunderbolt adapter, which has thunderbolt in and out, so it goes mac --> goflex --> display

E&OE

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's a regular TB port.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC914LL/A?fnode=53

5. macrominnie macrumors member

The GoFlex and Buffalo solutions seem like the least expensive for now.

It's always possible to spend more, and swap out a drive in a Lacie TB "little big" external, for instance.

If I was without a USB 3.0 port on a Mac and wanted better speed (than Firewire) and flexibility without the high end TB premium, I'd alternatively look at the Sonnect Echo Pro Adapter and add an ExpressCard/eSata or ExpressCard/UB3.0 to it.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard152.html

I'm thinking of doing this, to use some legacy equipment with TB. At least Apple has released the TB to FW800 adapter.

?OCZ 512GB Octane for $100?! ANY decent 512GB SSD for $100?!

Unless I'm missing something, that's way below wholesale price. Get as many as you can, if the source is legitimate. Send them for holiday gifts, or swap them with tech friends for something else you want, like a TB enclosure. Lacie TB enclosures with HDD retail for less than the 512GB Octane.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's a thunderbolt port without display port capability. To chain another monitor onto an ATD, you need to put in another TB device after the ATD.

7. ollyb macrumors member

Cool, I stand corrected. I was just going off the Apple Store iOS app info, which states display port, but not TB.