Thunderbolt HD's wassup then

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by inscrewtable, May 29, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I thought TB was just going to be a new standard and after a year they'd be the same price as firewire drives. But here we are almost on the next gen imac and all there is is the lacie very expensive still hd and some even more expensive raids.

What's going on, is there some intrinsic reason that TB enclosures will always be much dearer than ordinary enclosers? It's even more galling now that usb 3 drives are dirt cheap.

Is there any reason that TB has not been added to HD docks yet. Some licensing expense or something?

any enlightenment appreciated.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Wow, that's great information. Thanks for taking the time to make such a valuable contribution to the macrumors forum. It's quality posts like yours... etc.

4. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

Likewise.

Have you tried searching for discussions on this?

5. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Of course. I either get nothing at all if I search titles, or if I search entire posts I get everything. Both are as useless as each other.

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

There are many affordable thunderbolt drives now.

7. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

That's interesting looks like they just came out.

What I'm mainly interested in is an external HD Dock. I've searched everywhere and there seem to be plenty of docks that have everything except thunderbolt ports.

I was wondering if there is some technical reason for this, does the TB port have particular problems in a dock? Or is there some license requirement that is hard to get?

8. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

It is mainly because most pc accessory companies are always afraid to jump on the bandwagon with new technology unless it is dirt cheap.

Look back at the history of USB, it took years before manufacturers started churning out products after it was introduced.

They want someone else to take the leap 1st, invest their time and money, then they follow and copy what has been done.

9. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

But what about docks. Look at all these everything from eSata to usb3 all combinations and variations.

What is the big deal about sticking a TB port on one of them. It's just a frikken dock so they don't have to manufacture an range of external stand alone HD's with their concomitant variety of internal HD's.

It seems so tantalisingly near, yet so far. I feel like Homer Simpson trying to grab onto an ethereal dream donut.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Licensing fee just to put the connector on the device, dock or external HDD.

3rd parties are looking at around $60+ just to add the components for Thunderbolt.
    Then making people pay $50 for the cable and the 3rd party needs to make money off of it.
    You're looking at a $150 easy for a dock.

From a manufacturing standpoint, I can make a USB3, eSata, etc dock/hub for $10-15, sell it for $30.
    People are cheap, Macs are still the minority. We have to just sit and wait.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter