Thunderbolt hub or splitter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InuNacho, Jun 12, 2012.

1. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I'm eyeing the last of the 17 inch MBPs very carefully and would like to use a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and an external monitor at the same time.
    Unfortunately the 17 inch only has 1 Thunderbolt port and the Extreme does not have a Thunderbolt or any kind of video out.

Does some kind of Thunderbolt splitter or hub exist? Please do not recommended me a 2012 MBP.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

There currently isn't. Thunderbolt is too new.

The device should have chaining features.

If you want to use an external monitor, you could get an Apple Thunderbolt display and plug in the Blackmagic device to the monitor's daisy chained thunderbolt port.

3. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Nope it doesn't have a Thunderbolt out and I'm not to hot with shelling out $1,000 for a giant glossy monitor.

Really wish there was some kind of Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt/MiniDP or DVI cable.

4. eron macrumors 6502

Depends what external monitor you are using, the soon to be released Belkin might meet your needs.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/belkin-thunderbolt-express-dock/

Else, you can simply buy a Thunderbolt Display. It has a thunderbolt port at the back for you to connect your Black Magic.

Else there are USB2/3 monitors around.

Else, I believe the Black Magic has a HDMI out.

5. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

That one actually might work as it has USB 3 on the back and I could use an intensity Shuttle instead of Extreme.

Guess I'll wait a little longer and see what pops up.

6. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Too many people say to "simply" just buy Apple's monitor. This is a $1,000 option that many just can't swallow. Not to mention that the thing is a damn mirror. I can't imagine using something like that.

I don't see why it's taking so long for thunderbolt peripherals to show up. This is a new Intel standard, not some Apple proprietary design.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Or you could get the 15" Retina Macbook Pro, which has dual Thunderbolt as well as an HDMI port.

With the display scaling you can get the same amount of screen real estate as a 17" MBP.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your request about 2012 MBPs. Still the scaling might be a new bit of info.

8. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I can't stand the price and usability of the Thunderbolt display either. Apple dropped the ball on monitors years ago when it axed it's ACD lineup and replaced it with that giant mirror they call a monitor today.

If Apple is the only one selling $50 cables it essentially is an Apple only design.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

10. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Ahh, so others are finally stepping up and selling their own cables.

11. eron macrumors 6502

Seriously, I don't know why you are annoyed, or frustrated. You basically want to run a monitor, and it doesn't seem like you want to run a 2560 x 1400 monitor.

So you can easily just use a USB display adaptor, like this, or many other variants on eBay and other stores.

12. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Every display Apple made since the aluminum Cinema Displays have covered in giant headache inducing gloss. If I wanted the same effect as looking at a TB display I could spin around in my chair for an hour.

Those USB to whatever adapters are garbage, theres lag and they only go up to what, 1280 by 1024?

13. eron macrumors 6502

If you were patient enough, and have checked them out, they mostly support resolutions up to 1080p. The one I linked above supposedly does 2048x1152.