Thunderbolt Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ork, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Ork macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

What is the likelyhood that thunderbolt hubs will be made? I think the main problem with hubs was that the bandwidth was not large enough to handle multiple devices. Now with thunderbolt .. we got a lot more bandwidth to work with

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thunderbolt supports daisy-chaining so hubs aren't really needed.

3. simsaladimbamba

They will appear, there are some Firewire hubs, but as TB is able to daisy chain, there is not really a need, though I understand the need for a hub, as sometimes disconnecting the second element of a chain with six elements means the removal of all elements but the first. That can be a drag sometimes.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess is that there will be some hubs available.

Thinking in terms of connectivity such as one powered hub might have the following connections:
    • Multiple USB 2.0 / 3.0
    • Multiple FireWire 400 / 800
    • Multiple eSATA
    • External monitor.
    • And Thunderbolt connections

Something like this.

5. likegadgets macrumors 6502

If the license and tech standards allow it, someone will build it and sell it.
    Current 27" Cinema Display uses the TB connection and has no way of daisy chain

6. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

This is what I need. A hub that had several other kinds of connectors would be awesome.

7. Ork thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the demand for a hub is strong enough for Apple or some third party to develop. Personally I wouldn't mind it coming in a 1RU size but there are other possibilities.

I can see Apple marketing their new LED displays as hubs. Connect your thunderbolt to your display and have a bunch of ports.

Hopefully some third party makes a much simpler hub that wont cost so much.

8. dreamersofeden macrumors member

dreamersofeden

That would be complete success.

9. knulli macrumors newbie

Cinema Display has daisy chain as it has a Thunderbolt port and a built-in Thunderbolt cable to connect to your Mac.

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

when likegadgets posted, the cinema display had a mini-displayPort connector, not thunderbolt, it's the same physical connector, but not the same information going over it. just video, not the large data pipe that thunderbolt has.

and yes the new display that came out July 20, has a thunderbolt through port, in addition to firewire, usb, and ethernet.