Thunderbolt "Hub" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ccs569, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ccs569 macrumors newbie

So the new 27" Apple Thunderbolt display effectively acts as a docking station with its ports, speakers, etc. Unfortunately, the $1k pricetag seems a bit exorbitant.

My understanding is that presently this is the only thunderbolt "hub" of its kind. Any ideas, rumors, thoughts, of Apple or some other vendor coming out with some sort of affordable hub that would allow one to connect external HD, display, speakers, disk drive, etc with the one thunderbolt cord?

Hopefully something like this is on the horizon...

2. Isidore macrumors member

Sonnet products coming?

I had an exchange of emails with Sonnet yesterday and they advised that they would have more info about TB/firewire and TB/g-ethernet adaptors in the middle of August. That's not to say they won't produce a proper hub as well. The more people who contact them and say what they want, the more likely they are to produce the product we are looking for.

3. ccs569 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds promising. Hopefully vendors will begin creating equipment that is thunderbolt compatible sooner rather than later.

4. Samsumac macrumors regular

This is good news .. TB to usb 3/esata/firewire would be something very useful and cheap to use.

5. ummagawd macrumors newbie

the obvious product to make is a thunderbolt breakout hub

Alot of MBP owners won't cross into the MBA arena because it's missing things that those users are looking for.... I/O

So make a thunderbolt hub so that I can hookup:
    -external monitor
    -firewire
    -USB 3.0
    -audio

Do that, and people will buy

6. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

That is a good idea!

7. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

A thing about excellent ideas is their simplicity and logical order... and the effect on one to say:" F&*@# how didn't I think of that" after reading it. :)

And the quoted text, is an excellent idea...

8. mike95 macrumors member

There is a sudden rush of thunderbolt hub devices coming on board such as the LaCie 1TB, 2TB, and SSD 256GB and 512GB as well as a hub by belkin.

Google "Thunderbolt Hub Arrived" or use this link as there are many related posts

Google: Thunderbolt Hub Arrived

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

10. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I was thinking along the liners of a gurgle