Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wulleybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Long story short I've purchased a caldigit thunderbolt station and a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter. Because of the chipset, it is not possible to run a monitor off the HDMI on the thunderbolt station and have a display port adapter attached. Added the go flex both monitors work great in mavericks, switch over to bootcamp (windows 8.1) and the display port adapter monitor will not show up. Anyone know if this is a thunderbolt driver limitation or should this work?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Long story short I've purchased a caldigit thunderbolt station and a seagate goflex thunderbolt adapter. Because of the chipset, it is not possible to run a monitor off the HDMI on the thunderbolt station and have a display port adapter attached. Added the go flex both monitors work great in mavericks, switch over to bootcamp (windows 8.1) and the display port adapter monitor will not show up. Anyone know if this is a thunderbolt driver limitation or should this work?

The Thunderbolt device must be connected to the Mac before starting up the system into Boot Camp (driver limitation)

wulleybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
The Thunderbolt device must be connected to the Mac before starting up the system into Boot Camp (driver limitation)

yeah its connected, i can boot from the SSD thats connected to the thunderbolt device but adding the display port adapter to it the monitor just doesn't work

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Here's a related question (OP, I hope you don't mind).

I have a 2011 Mac Mini and a 2012 iMac. Does anyone know if I can use the iMac as a monitor for the Mini by connecting the two via Thunderbolt and putting the iMac in target display mode?

Assuming this works (which I expect it would), what about running Windows on the Mac Mini and still using the iMac as a monitor? This is actually what I want to do. I want to leave the Mini running a native Windows app 24x7 and it would be kind of handy if I could keep an eye on it with the iMac.

Any thoughts?

wulleybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014

I have a 2011 Mac Mini and a 2012 iMac. Does anyone know if I can use the iMac as a monitor for the Mini by connecting the two via Thunderbolt and putting the iMac in target display mode?

Assuming this works (which I expect it would), what about running Windows on the Mac Mini and still using the iMac as a monitor? This is actually what I want to do. I want to leave the Mini running a native Windows app 24x7 and it would be kind of handy if I could keep an eye on it with the iMac.

Any thoughts?

Don't mind at all, and I'm pretty sure that would work exactly how you want to use it. Although I thought for sure this would work exactly how I wanted to use it and its not lol

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec

Any thoughts?

It works with the 27 inches but I'm not sure about the 21 inches

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec

I have the cal digit thunderbolt station and it is working in bootcamp but to make it work I had to manually install all the drivers, the auto install did not work. all the drivers are available at the caldigit website. I don't know about the seagate go flex adapter.

When you say: " it is not possible to run a monitor off the HDMI on the thunderbolt station and have a display port adapter attached" do you mean 2 monitors, one on the hdmi and one on the thunderbolt port, both plugged into the caldigit?

Because on the caldigit website it says: "

HDMI

1.Can I use an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter?
Yes, you can use an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter to connect to a DVI monitor.

2.Can I use multiple monitors with my Thunderbolt Station?
Yes, the Thunderbolt Station can support two monitors if one of them is an Apple Thunderbolt Display. You cannot use a monitor with a mini display port to DVI/VGA/HDMI adapter while using the HDMI port on the device for a multiple display configuration because only the first display that is detected will function.

For example
1. Thunderbolt Monitor and HDMI Monitor - Yes
2. Mini-Display Port Monitor and HDMI Monitor - No
3. Mini-display port adapter to DVI Monitor and HDMI monitor - No
4. Thunderbolt Display and HDMI adapter to DVI Monitor - Yes

Don't know if that answers your question, but basically if you plug your hdmi monitor into a thunderbolt display it should work but not in any other way

sco

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
yeah so no quite what i was looking for, I'm not asking about an apple thunderbolt display. But I'm guessing this is a limitation on the drivers for windows as far as adding additional displays as it works prefectly in OSX

Apple Thunderbolt display or not.. the same technology is used to get two displays running off a thunderbolt port. Yes, it's likely to be a limitation of drivers.... just like the touchpad... Windows drivers don't get the same attention as OSX.

wulleybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Apple Thunderbolt display or not.. the same technology is used to get two displays running off a thunderbolt port. Yes, it's likely to be a limitation of drivers.... just like the touchpad... Windows drivers don't get the same attention as OSX.

19. How many Apple Thunderbolt Displays can I use with a Mac in Windows 7 or 8 with Boot Camp?

You can use only one Apple Thunderbolt Display with Windows 7 or 8 with Boot Camp.

As you can see above the information from the link you provided specifically states thunderbolt displays, and no its the same thing. I have done further research and it is indeed a limitation on the windows drivers that are currently available. But I do appreciate your response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.