Thunderbolt in future MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsavvytech, May 9, 2011.

1. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I feel the general discussion in this forum relating thunderbolt has been quite low so I felt creating a thread that compiled all the useful features of Thunderbolt/mDP would be a great asset to the community.
    My own admissions are as follows:
    - Future docking stations could be created with powerful external GPUs
    - Having extra thunderbolt ports allow us that love extra screens to expand onto more then two monitors easily.
    - Thunderbolt allows for superfast SSD external harddrives.
    Following on from above external HDD and RAID rigs can be created with massive bandwidth available to them
    - One port can replace many different ports' functions
    - mDP's small form factor requires less space on computer allowing for more ports and other goodies

Now add your own in responses to this thread. Any questions relating thunderbolt may be asked but down SPAM IT! Beware I will ... ... Get you if you do.

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

- cable lengths can extend to tens of metres (with optical).
    - capable of HD multi-streaming
    - AV capture, monitoring, output, and encoding devices can be attached (see Matrox)
    - devices can be daisy chained

3. TenderBranson macrumors member

being able to daisy-chain devices is going to make an incredible, incredible difference

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I think it's an interesting addition to the Mac. I have heard that some people are having some issues when using a DVI monitor with Thunderbolt though. However I know Apple will work those bugs out.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It is going to be huge for multi-track audio recording. Being able to get PCIe in a form-factor of a MacBook Pro or iMac is a game changer. Devices should be coming soon from both Avid and Apogee.

I have seen the Avid prototype running on a non-Apple Thunderbolt beta-laptop (unbranded Asus).

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

The probability of an external TB GPU is exciting to me. It would give me the ability to play some of the games at high res that I can't now (13") because I wanted this form factor.

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Check out the Echo Express on the products page. You should be able to do that this summer. Just pick your card.

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Yeah, it'll be nice when they announce pricing too.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

that echo express looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet hopefully they just dont price themselves in the stratosphere like magma w/ their magma box.

10. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I have a feeling that's what is going to happen. I'm not willing to pay more for the enclosure than the GPU.

11. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've got a DVI monitor right now...

12. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

maybe you dont have issues but......... look at this ThunderBolt + External Monitor = Mounds of Woe

13. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech