ThunderBolt issue :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StUPoT, Apr 20, 2014.

1. StUPoT macrumors member

Im having a issue with my ThunderBolt Port. It has been going on for months now and still havent got on top of it. Im at my wits end cos now my monitor doesnt connect at all to my 2011 MacBook Pro. The firmware update had an issue where it would not install it just kept restarting and now its made the port useless. Is there anyway to overcome this issue?
    I now have a useless port that has been made useless due to Apples ****** up of an update.
    It used to work fine with no issue.
    My ThuderBolt Firmware is listed as 22.1

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not take it into apple to see if it actually failed, i.,e., hardware not software

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just wondering -- could it be the -cable- ??

T-bolt cables have embedded electronics inside, and a defective cable would certainly toss a wrench into the works.

If at all possible, try a different cable.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, perhaps they could verify that the cable is good/bad, before you go digging into the MacBook itself...

4. StUPoT thread starter macrumors member

Ive tried different cables and adaptors and no luck just wont work. Im convinced its software based as it was fine up until the firmware update came out and I think through trying to get that installed its buggered it up. Looks like im gunna have to take a trip to the Apple Store for them to double check it

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Im convinced its software based as it was fine up until the firmware update came out and I think through trying to get that installed its buggered it up. ]]

I had a similar problem with my own 2010 MacBook Pro, but with firewire.

One day (computer was still under warranty), the firewire stopped working. Didn't even show up in System Profiler.

I took it to the Apple Store, and got the logic board replaced under warranty. At the time, the tech guy said that it might not be just a hardware problem, but in software as well.

After about 6 months of use, I did some kind of update (I think) and --- no firewire again. By this time the computer was OUT of warranty, and I didn't really need firewire, so I just let it go.

Then, I decided to install either Lion or Mountain Lion on it (old OS was 10.6). I used a second partition, still keeping OS 10.6 on the "main" partition.

Got the installation completed, booted it up and -- suddenly, firewire was back working again. Even works on the 10.6 partition that it -wouldn't- work on previously.

All I did was install an updated version of the OS.

So… I'm guessing that at some point during the initial boot process, there was -some- software file (perhaps a kext?) that either wasn't there or was corrupted and couldn't be read at boot time. And without that software, the Mac's firewire circuitry wouldn't "activate".

Could be the same with thunderbolt.
    I'm thinking that perhaps something got corrupted in firmware, that would be necessary to "be there" in an UNcorrupted state for thunderbolt to be "activated" at boot time.

Do you have an Apple Store you could take it to, to have the firmware checked out, and possibly "re-flashed"?

6. StUPoT thread starter macrumors member

Thats the most helpful post yet :) Makes the most sense based on my problem. I will see if the Apple Store can help