Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
Hi all,

is it possible to hook up 2 Apple 24" displays (mini display) to a current mac mini?

Obviously one would go into the thunderbolt port, but the other would need a male HDMI -> female mini display.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks
Darren

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
Hi all,

is it possible to hook up 2 Apple 24" displays (mini display) to a current mac mini?

Obviously one would go into the thunderbolt port, but the other would need a male HDMI -> female mini display.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks
Darren

Looks like this isn't possible.

But is it possible to link 2 Thunderbolt displays to a previous gen Mac Mini with Mini Display port?

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; pt-pt) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cant you thunderbolt the screens together and to the mini ?

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; pt-pt) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cant you thunderbolt the screens together and to the mini ?

Apple 24" displays are DVI.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal

My bad thought you meant thunderbolt screens

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England

My bad thought you meant thunderbolt screens

Well that might be the only way.

VeganHipster

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
The 24" Apple Cinema Display is does not work with Thunderbolt Macs. It is certainly supposed to, but it doesn't. There is a 30 page thread on the Apple Support forums in the Macbook Pro section regarding, and numerous other small ones in each Mac's section, people chime in on the 30 page thread and say that it doesn't work with Mac Minis, Macbook Air's, etc. Real shame, I prefer the 24" over the 27".

fireman13

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Florida Panhandle
The 24" Apple Cinema Display is does not work with Thunderbolt Macs. It is certainly supposed to, but it doesn't. There is a 30 page thread on the Apple Support forums in the Macbook Pro section regarding, and numerous other small ones in each Mac's section, people chime in on the 30 page thread and say that it doesn't work with Mac Minis, Macbook Air's, etc. Real shame, I prefer the 24" over the 27".

I haven't had the first problem with my 24 ACD and my new mini. I am not saying that people aren't having issues with them because clearly they are, but you can't make a statement that the cinema displays do not work with apple's new hard ware because that simply isn't the truth. I'm using one right now.
They are reporting random flickering and occasional black screens ( none of which I have had).

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

Actually it works. I'm typing on a 2011 17" Macbook Pro connected to a 24 ACD right now. The problem is the ACD tend to exhibit flickering and random 1 to 2 second blackouts when connected to thunderbolt Macs. I personally do not have a problem but there is indeed a lot of people having this issue.

PWNkake

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Well I was successful with two older Dell screens. Using a mini dv> dvi and the included hdmi > dvi I have both screens visible. It's great for lightroom. If I upgrade to 2 1080p 24' view sonic LED monitors or 2 24' ACDs will I have trouble?

The two monitors are 1280x1024 dells
Mac mini i5 2.5 with 8 gb of memory.

Literally tearing through adobe lightroom. Loving my choice over the iMac.

VeganHipster

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
I haven't had the first problem with my 24 ACD and my new mini. I am not saying that people aren't having issues with them because clearly they are, but you can't make a statement that the cinema displays do not work with apple's new hard ware because that simply isn't the truth. I'm using one right now.
They are reporting random flickering and occasional black screens ( none of which I have had).

It may work for a few people, but I wouldn't consider a product fully 'compatible' if there are more people with problems then there are success stories.

I am happy the display works for you and the other fellow. However, myself and plenty of others will not spend $650 give or take for something that only 'might' work. Same for if I already had the display and wanted to get a ThunderBolt Mac, no one is going to spend $1200+ for a computer if it possibly wont work with their existing hardware. Which is why I am not saying it is fully compatible, because it isn't.

Granted, it is an older product and Apple is not forcing us to buy it, but it is only a few years old and Apple said Thunderbolt is completely backwards compatible with MiniDisplayPort and all the old displays will still work on everyone's mac, which is not the case.

I would wait until Apple fixes the issue through the software update. I do doubt that it will be fixed through a software update because there are clearly cases where the 24" ACD works with the current software. I certainly hope a solution does come through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.