Thunderbolt madness - Price dropping Yeeeeh

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FireWire2, Jan 22, 2014.

1. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

2. AppleDApp, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The selection of empty thunderbolt enclosure for 3.5“ drive is still limited.

3. FireWire2 thread starter macrumors 6502

FireWire2

DATOptic site offers disk-less enclosures - i saw a Thunderbolt to 5x SATAIII(6Gb) tray less - disk-less for $399.00 (after $70.00 discount)

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Corrected

5. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

Don't expect this to change: single spinning drive transfer rate is way too slow to make bandwidth of TB necessary.

We do see 2.5" enclosures since these will fit an SSD without an adapter of some sort (I am guessing the higher capacity 2.5" HDD are offered simply as a means of improving ROI as much as possible by increasing options / having lower cost introductory product relative to SSD with little to no NRE); there are some advantages of TB over USB 3.0 although speed is not one of them!

Cheers

6. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

:confused: So an EMPTY encolsure is STILL priced way above $99.

Someone please explain this to me. There is no drive in the encolsure, is the TB controller REALLY that expensive? I just dont get it. An empty enclosure should be around $99 or hey, even $150 is kind of excusable. But these prices are absurd.

I bought a LaCie TB SSD for $199 and it has a 128 gig SSD in it. Why the hell is an EMPTY enclosure more expensive. Am I missing something or... :confused:

7. FireWire2 thread starter macrumors 6502

FireWire2

Not quite - there are lot of offers as disk-less enclosure, if you look

8. RCAFBrat, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

RCAFBrat macrumors regular

Not so sure; only single 3.5" enclosure I can find is the LaCie d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt and it is not offered diskless. I believe the CalDigit T1 is on the back burner for the time being. Multi bay enclosures that support RAID are a different story (fair number available) but they can potentially take advantage of higher speeds compared to a single spinning disk.

Check out Intel's Thunderbolt website that lists existing & planned products:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

From what I've read this website pretty much lists all of the available products although Pegasus 2 is a notable exception. Correction: DAT Optic Thunderbolt offerings also not listed.

Cheers