Thunderbolt MBA + 27" T-bolt Display + Non-T-bolt 27" Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gcarswell, Jul 29, 2011.

1. gcarswell macrumors newbie

OK, I can't find an answer to this, apologies if it's already been covered:

I have a non-thunderbolt 27" cinema display bought three weeks before the new one came out:( (no I can't return it:)

If I buy a new MBA with Thunderbolt, and a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display, can I daisy chain the non-TBolt Display as a third screen?

I.e. MBA > T-Bolt to T-Bolt 27" > displayport-only> non-TBolt 27" ?

Or is this moot since the T-Bolt MBA doesn't support two external screens anyway?

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I believe it's latter. At most it 'might' mirror the first external-but that's being optimistic. There is no word from Apple that the integrated graphics will support dual screens. Even the 13" pros are out of luck on the dual screen modes.

3. thankins macrumors 6502

New MBAs have a custom Thunderbolt chip and only support one monitor.

See here

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/29/macbo...0gbps-channels-and-a-single-external-display/

4. gcarswell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys,

So the MBA gets a welfare thunderbolt chip. great. Like only 'half-thunder':_)

5. toxic macrumors 68000

MBAs don't have a "custom" chip. Intel makes two versions, one with two DP lanes, and one with one lane. Airs get the one with one lane because of space constraints.

the TB spec only specifies two 10 Gb/s lanes, so there is nothing "half" about it.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

It is a moot point. Neither the Intel integrated graphics nor the TB controller on the air support more than 1 external display.