Thunderbolt Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wilbah, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Wilbah, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

Wilbah macrumors member

Just want to rant here for second, as Im sure many others have already...

When will Apple find it in their hearts to update the T-Bolt Cinema Display with USB 3.0?

Its the one piece of gear I would buy immediately, for several reasons- except I cant get myself around the idea that there isn't an effective method of getting decently priced external storage connected to it.

Is there some good reason for not putting USB 3 in this thing? I need monitor and dont want to buy a bunch of other t-bolt adapters and/or expensive tbolt drives.

Has anyone found some interesting work arounds?

There- rant over, I'm finished.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Thunderbolt hub + external monitor? Most hubs like the Belkin, Matrox, SonnetTech and such come equipped with USB 3.0 and, when combined with an external monitor, cost a fraction of the price the Thunderbolt Display will run you. Do you get the same quality display? Unlikely, at least not without paying around the same price, but it saves you some hassle and could eliminate things like adapters if you get one of the models with an HDMI out port.

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

The rumors are pointing to an update to the TB monitor soon (likely with the new MacPro release). You'll know soon whether they shift to USB 3.

I'm not holding my breath -- USB 3 (and soon 3.1) competes with TB, the interface Apple has "picked" for its machines, so they may not want to move beyond USB 2.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

That's just silly talk. They updated all of their machines to USB 3.0 last year. Why would they update any product without going to USB 3.0 (outside of Airports and what not)? They clearly want to support both. They picked Thunderbolt so they can release displays that act as docking stations/hubs. By utilizing Thunderbolt as their display they already are supporting their preferred interface. Everything that hangs off of the Thunderbolt display is a "secondary" interface. Thunderbolt is best utilized as a "docking station" (i.e. thunderbolt display).

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

Really? Then how do you explain the new ac Airport Extreme and Time Capsules being recently released with only USB 2.0?

I'd like to see USB 3.0 on the next TB display, as I'm very likely going to buy one. But that doesn't mean that I expect USB 3.0 to be a "certainty."

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

That's an easy one: They use a specific SOC that does not have USB 3.0. Most wifi access points do NOT have USB 3.0. That's how it's EASILY explained. That and even theoretical bandwidth is barely above USB 2.0 on AC, and is no where near 3.0. USB 2.0 = 480mbps 801.11AC = 866mbps USB 3.0 = 5gbps. That's also theoretical. Throw in encryption overhead + packet loss and you are barely at max USB 2.0.

I hope this helps!

7. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Paul:

867 Mbit/second is the limit for a 2x2 MIMO. Its 1200 for a 3x3 MIMO.

What about USB 2.0 if there are multiple devices accessing simultaneously, perhaps as a Time Machine target?

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I personally expect (>50% chance) USB 3.0 on the next generation ATD. I would not have expected it on a TC. NAS units in general are slow (high latency)... and TC's are especially bad. Still, the TC is the only officially supported (affordable) NAS backup option, which is why I recommend them.

/Jim