Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Panamá
Ok folks,

Thinking about getting a quad-core i7 for my music-productional needs, whenever Thunderbolt-devices are available.
Currently I am running a 2010 Mini server with 2 display - one hooked up with HDMI, the other one via Mini-DP port to DVI adapter.
My question - does anybody know how it will work, or it will not work, if I hook up - as I do now - one display on HDMI, the other one via Thunderbolt port to a Thunderbolt-harddisk and after that to a non-Thunderport display (via mini-DP to DVI-adapter)?

Thanks for input

alq

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Can't find the specific forum that discusses something similar- thunderbolt display hooked to MDP display but the consensus was that it will work as long as the MDP display is last in the chain.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
yes that will work. the non-thunderbolt device must be at the end of the chain. so if you have 2 thunderbolt drives, the chain would look like: mini -> thunderbolt device #1 -> thunderbolt device #2 -> mini-displayport monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.