Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boylerman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I noticed that my M1 iPad Pro Will not connect to my M1 MacBook Pro using a Thunderbolt cable. It will charge, but will not show up in the finder. I just discovered that my iPad will also not connect to an external SSD using a Thunderbolt cable. It connects fine to both my Mac and the SSD if I use a standard USB-C cable.

Searching the forums, it seems this is a known issue and seems to have persisted across OS updates. Is anyone having success connecting their iPads to a device with a Thunderbolt cable?

Wdave

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021
In the same boat here.
The iPad will not connect with a Thunderbolt 4 cable, or a USB4 cable.
On a USB 3.1(10gb) cable will connect at just USB 2.0 speeds, and a general run-of-the-mill USB 3.0(5gb) A to C cable through an adapter will connect to the damn iPad at 3.0 speeds.
Its nothing short of infuriating/maddening to see this happen
I have not tried to attach the iPad to my Macbook pro 14 inch via a TB3 cable, but I doubt there would be a difference tbh

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I noticed that my M1 iPad Pro Will not connect to my M1 MacBook Pro using a Thunderbolt cable. It will charge, but will not show up in the finder. I just discovered that my iPad will also not connect to an external SSD using a Thunderbolt cable. It connects fine to both my Mac and the SSD if I use a standard USB-C cable.

Searching the forums, it seems this is a known issue and seems to have persisted across OS updates. Is anyone having success connecting their iPads to a device with a Thunderbolt cable?
Is it supposed to work like that? I didn’t think you could just plug it in and use it like a storage device.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

My M1 iPad Pro will connect to my 2018 Intel MacBook Pro and a 2020 M1 MacBook Air (both running 12.3) using a Thunderbolt 4 cable, although only at 10Gbps.
Make sure that you aren't missing the "Trust this computer" prompt on the iPad.

boylerman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
My Mac is now running 12.4 and my iPad is running 15.5 and the Thunderbolt cable now connect and I can transfer files. I don't know how to accurately test connection speed, but Apple obviously addressed some connectivity issues with these updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.