Thunderbolt of Cinema Display? Much difference other than connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by olisones, Sep 29, 2012.

1. olisones macrumors regular

Hi all,

Having just taken delivery of my rMBP, I'm now looking at a secondary monitor. Is there a huge difference between a Thunderbolt and Cinema Display other than the connection? I realise the TB connector is easy on my machine, but if I can save a few hundred £££ at this stage it would be useful! Or is there another screen that is a suitable replacement?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I would get it. It also acts as a dock. With a single cable you get ethernet, USB2.0 (ouch, not 3.0, maybe next year) FW800, etc.

If you need it NOW, get it. If you can wait, get a used 23" Apple Cinema Display off Craigslist (if in U.S.) or eBay (make sure it's a good one) and then sell it and get the next gen Cinema Display, which will possibly be updated mid next year.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have an ATD and recommend it. As the previous poster said... it is nice to have all of the docking station capabilities within. I keep a 1Gb ethernet connection attached... and also like having the audio and conferencing camera built in.

You will want to be a bit careful if you keep HDDs, SSDs attached. Disconnecting your rMBP without first ejecting the drives will give you surprise removal warnings.

If you think you will ever get an iMac... then it can also be a 2nd monitor as well.

/Jim

4. chaseychasem macrumors regular

OP should be aware that the potential of a refresh next month has also been discussed.

5. olisones thread starter macrumors regular

I was aware - thanks for the link though. I wonder if you will see a drop in prices on the current range? It's a shame that the displays never appear in the UK Refurb store - on the US site you can get a decent saving $ to £ especially.