Thunderbolt on iMac 27 inch messes up my Sony Bravia Sync

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrXiro, Jun 29, 2012.

1. MrXiro, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm not sure if this occurs with all Thunderbolt/Mini Display Port Macs or just the iMac that I have. I used to have a 21inch iMac with Mini Display port but not Thunderbolt. Last year I upgraded to a new iMac with TB and it's screwed up my Bravia Sync (I forget what the common name for one device controlling another device over HDMI is called) and it used to be when I turned on my PS3 my TV would change to the BD input, as would my receiver and it was a one touch solution that made it easy to play a PS3 game/watch a movie. After hooking up my iMac via the TB port and an adapter to the HDMI on my TV the Bravia Sync no longer works. Turning on my PS3 no longer changes the input on my other devices and turning it off no longer changes it back where I left it.

I unplugged my iMac from my TV and it's still not working. The first time I tried it, it wouldn't work for a few weeks and then one day it fixed itself. Not sure how or why... it just started working again. But I've had to plug the iMac into the TV again recently (4 months now) and it's killed the Bravia Sync again and it doesn't look like it's coming back.

Any one know the reason for this or even better, a solution to fix it?

2. MrXiro, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3. Wombert macrumors regular

Found a solution!

On your adapter or cable, simply remove or cover pin #13 which carries the HDMI CEC signals; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI for the pinout.

I did it on my mDP to HDMI cable (which has a plug, not a receptacle, so the pinout is mirrored of course), was a bit of work, but I got the pin removed, and now everything is shiny.

As an alternative, connect an HDMI to DVI adapter to your adapter, then a DVI to HDMI cable to it (so the chain of connections/conversions is mDP-HDMI-DVI-HDMI), that will remove the CEC signals (because it gets lost in the conversion to DVI), but keep the audio intact.

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There are DVI to HDMI adapters that carry sound?