Thunderbolt on iPad when?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macphipsi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. macphipsi macrumors newbie

When are we going to see a single Thunderbolt output on iOS devices? they are smaller than the 30 pin connectors, SO much faster. Most importantly, it would mean i could buy one thunderbolt adapter for all of my Apple components(imac, mbp, ipad, and iPhone) to do video out and what not.

I know i'm not the only one who sees this as the next step.

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

a couple of years at the earliest. so far only Apple has Thunderbolt ports on their systems. no PC manufacturer has add them at this time. Apple will not force such a change to iOS line up until such a time as Thunderbolt is much much more prevalent. if anything I expect to see USB3.0 speeds before Thunderbolt.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I see that as the next step too. Here's to hoping the iPhone 5 has one...

Only problem is compatibility. 1. Basically no PCs have it (isn't there just 1 Sony computer?) 2. Only new Macs have it.

What would happen to everyone else? Apple wouldn't do something that drastic.

Unless they sold a Thunderbolt to USB adapter or something.. I don't even know if that'd work though.

Wait, I just realized, Thunderbolt ports don't give/get power do they? Like, the kind of power that'd let me charge my iPhone from my computer, just like I currently do with USB

4. jaytv111 macrumors regular

No. The new Vaio Z has a Light Peak port, but it's not Thunderbolt certified, so it's looking unlikely that any current Thunderbolt accessory will work with it.

The easy way would be just to have the dock connector have Thunderbolt as well as USB modes.

Yeah Thunderbolt does have power, more than enough to charge an iPhone, and enough for an iPad.

5. ChristianJapan, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I actually think we will not see TB.
    iDevices are supposed to connect via WiFi to the cloud from iOS 5 onwards. I lack of phantasy for what TB should be useful on iDevices beside ultrafast sync.
    Right now it would be overkill. Once we see iOS and Mac OS merged on a common platform TB will come to tablet; 3 years min

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Why would want thunderbolt on your iPad apart from sync movies?

iOS is shifting to sync via iCloud or via Wifi with your computer. I can't see them sync with your computer this way, and they aren't suddenly going to let you access a HD filesystem with an iOS device via a port.

Indent even think there will be a USB port in the iPad 3

7. urkel, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Sync is ridiculously slow and while wireless is more convenient, its going to be even slower so high speed data transfer is a big benefit. But also, TB can display video to monitors/projectors and connect to other types of devices/peripherals more efficiently than the current plug can.

The problem is that TB still has to prove itself since its been over 10mo [Edit: 6mo] since it first appeared on Macs and there isn't much out there. So if its takes a year to get a simple firewire dongle or consumer hard drive out then how long until they make it standard on PCs.

Its a shame Apple was so stubborn with USB3 because thats really the ideal connection for cross platform high speed data transfer. So I'd much rather see a USB MagSafe iOS connecter than a Thunderbolt one.

8. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

By an iPad 4, I'd expect it to be wireless-only. The iPad 3 is too soon for that - I'm sure that will still have the 30-pin dock. But the future, I'm sure, is removing physical ports, not adding them.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Was the 24th of February really 10 months ago?

10. urkel macrumors 68030

You're right. I thought they were on the 2010 models. But regardless, the point still stands and TB is more promise than product and we have yet to see what sort of insane markup we're going to get in buying a TB hard drive or data cable vs a USB3 one.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple sell their Thunderbolt cable for £39 in the UK.

For an extra £10 you can get a USB 3.0 cable with a WD My Passport 500GB hard drive in the box. ;)

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Where have you been for the past few months??

Sony Vaio Z

13. urkel macrumors 68030

I think his point was that there isn't a huge migration to TB on the PC side. So if there isn't widespread support then it doesn't make sense to make a niche connection port.

The further we go with TB vs USB3 the more i t feels like FW vs USB.

14. jaytv111 macrumors regular

As I'd said earlier, it's not Thunderbolt, it's Light Peak based, but right now there's no (official) compatibility with Thunderbolt.