Thunderbolt on MBA same as mini display port?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irontiger82, Sep 2, 2011.

1. irontiger82 macrumors member

Yes I am a newb.

I am trying to get a 24" Cinema Display for $500. First is that a good deal? Those things are going for $600 in ebay.

Second, I bought a new MBA, is the thunderbolt port the same as the mini display port? So I don't need an adapter if I just but the display with the cords provided?

Thanks.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

3. irontiger82 thread starter macrumors member

great thanks just making sure.

4. JulesK macrumors 6502

See if you can try the monitor first

I just got a 24" ACD, but hadn't realized that there is an issue with at least some Thunderbolt-equipped macs and the display port monitors. Fortunately, I've had no problems (no flickering, blank screens, etc.), and I don't know whether it depends on the monitor or whether Apple just fixed the issue on the latest MBA. But if you search this forum, you'll see people reporting the problem. So if you can try the monitor, or have the seller try for you, that would be ideal. It's a great monitor, and if you can get one in great condition for $500, that's a good price.

(I'm using a 2011 MBA 11 i7.)

5. irontiger82 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice. yeah I going to try it out with my new MBA 11"

didn't know there such a problem. btw, with a little haggling. I'm picking it up for $475 in a couple hours. Woo

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

IMO 475 just ehh, they hit the Apple refurb store for 600 and come with a full 1 year warranty so a little less than 500 for used, no warranty, etc not that exciting for me.