Thunderbolt on new MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gix1k, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I am considering upgrading my 15" MBP to the new 15" with TB. On my current MBP I use and need the two thunderbolt ports on the side. I use one to connect a dock and other for a monitor. What's the best way to get these two ports on the new computer? Possible?

2. leman macrumors 604

The new MBP has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports. You can use a TB3 to TB2 adapter (available at Apple) to connect the dock. And you can use the a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect your monitor.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Oh...I thought it only had two USB-C ports on it.

4. leman macrumors 604

Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C use the same physical connector and cable. Basically, Thunderbolt 3 is an extension of USB-C, if you want. Thats the beauty of the new USB standard — it uses a very flexible wiring scheme that can be dynamically reconfigured to support a large range of protocols.

5. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

This is what I have happening now. Won't be possible new MBP.

[​IMG]

6. chabig macrumors 68040

USB-C is just the name of a physical connection standard. It's not a data transfer protocol. The new Type-C port is capable of carrying USB, Thunderbolt, Ethernet, Firewire, Displayport, HDMI, and probably some others that I forgot. The new connector is called Type-C because it came after the Type-A and Type-B connectors.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2017 ---
    I can't tell if you're asking or telling. But whatever you've got now will work with the new MacBook Pro, as the new Pro supports all of the same standards. You will probably need some new adapters to get everything connected. That's all.

7. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I was asking. Thanks for letting me know. I just didn't want to buy the computer and not have it suit my need.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

That's a very valid concern. I think you'll like the new machine. I do.

9. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Your laptop on the photo has two Thunderbolt 2 interfaces that are both using minDisplayPort connectors. The black cable you're holding is a DisplayPort interface cable (the logo of square with two lines is DisplayPort logo; Thunderbolt logo is lightning) with miniDisplayPort connector. The white dock you plug in has Thunderbolt 2 interface with miniDisplayPort connector.

See, Thunderbolt 2 and DisplayPort interfaces share the same miniDisplayPort connector. However being able to physically insert DisplayPort interface into Thunderbolt 2 interface and vice versa does not make them inherently compatible. Apart from connector compatibility interface compatibility also matters.

Thunderbolt 2 interface can work as DisplayPort interface that's why inserting DisplayPort interface cable into Thunderbolt 2 interface works. (Your black cable.)

DisplayPort interface cannot work as Thunderbolt 2 interface. If you had DisplayPort interfaces on the laptop instead of Thunderbolt 2 you have and tried to insert Thunderbolt 2 interface dock into them you would be able to physically insert it (since they share same miniDisplayPort connector) but it won't work because of this incompatibility.

Now further to 2016 MBP.

It has either 2 (13" nTB) or 4 (13" TB and 15") Thunderbolt 3 interfaces with USB-C connectors.

USB 3.1 gen 2 interface also often has USB-C connector. Thunderbolt 3 interface is compatible with USB 3.1 gen 2 interface so you'd be able to insert any USB interface with USB-C connector into Thunderbolt 3 interface with USB-C connector.

DisplayPort interface is compatible with USB 3.1 gen 2 interface so it is also compatible with Thunderbolt 3. However DisplayPort interface often comes with either DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort connectors. Only recently DisplayPort interfaces started to come with USB-C connectors. In order to plug your current monitor into the new MBP 2016 you'd need such a cable - DisplayPort interface with DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort connector into monitor and USB-C connector into new MBP 2016. I have this one https://www.startech.com/uk/AV/usb-...-over-usb-c-to-displayport-adapter~CDP2DPMM6B.

Thunderbolt 2 interface is compatible with Thunderbolt 3 interface however their respective connectors - miniDisplayPort and USB-C - are not. In order to plug your current dock into the new MBP 2016 you'd need an adapter from Thunderbolt 3 interface with USB-C connector to Thunderbolt 2 interface with miniDisplayPort connector.

Of course as time goes there will be more and more devices initially with USB-C connectors.

This is a simplified explanation. Awful, eh? :)

10. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k