Thunderbolt on rMBP ... Loose connection after a while?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benguild, Aug 6, 2015.

1. benguild, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

benguild macrumors 6502a

My Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter has started to disconnect on readjustment. Has anyone got a clever fix for this, or is it covered under warranty alongside the machine?

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Take it into the Apple store. Ports shouldn't become loose.

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, but the way that Thunderbolt is designed puts the wear components on the peripheral-side of things. So, while the Mac might be fine, the peripheral eventually loses contact.

I wasn't sure if this was warrantiable or not.

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I've owned MacBooks for two to three years and even my PC (which I've owned for more than 3 years), and have never had USB ports come loose, therefore Thunderbolt ports shouldn't become loose that easily either.

5. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I'm not sure if you're reading what I posted. But thank you for your thoughts.

6. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Ah sorry, I take it that it's the actual ethernet adapter's connection that is coming loose?

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

According to a few resources, the Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter does seem to be covered under a 1 year warranty.

The adapter is where the spring elements appear to be, so I would assume that is the wear element and therefore the problem.

8. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Which country are you based in? If you're within the EU, all products should come with a minimum of 2 years warranty.

Furthermore, if you're within the UK, then under the Sales of Good act, then in some cases, you can make a claim for repair or replacement within 6 years of the purchase date.