Thunderbolt PCI lane question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

as we know thunderbolt has two lanes, one for DP, one for PCI, as the PCI lane is capable of emulating a lot of stuff, sata III USB 3.0 and so forth, why cant it emulate a DP channel giving our TB two DP lanes?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

PCI Express doesn't emulate anything. USB 3.0 adapters (when they will be released) will act similarly to internal USB 3.0 chips, that is, the "raw data" travels from the CPU to the chip, and USB protocol communications are held strictly between the adapter and the external device.

There can't be two DP lanes because the graphics chip in current MBPs doesn't support one than more output. It's as easy as that ;)

(If you need several monitors check this out.)

3. superericla macrumors 6502

If it's the graphics chip that is the problem, couldn't the MacBook Pros with switchable graphics theoretically use both graphics chips to run two displays from the Thunderbolt Port?

4. cube macrumors G5

The discrete graphics chip in the MBPs is not the problem. They support 4 or 6 displays with DisplayPort 1.2

The problem is thunderbolt, as a channel is too slow for DisplayPort 1.2

Merging two things into one port was a terrible idea as it is.

5. superericla macrumors 6502

I wonder if it would be possible to use it only as a displayport port, allowing for multiple monitors and bypassing the thunderbolt chip.

6. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

thanks for the clarification.
    so have i got it right understanding that all adapters will be active, and that to run a display link on the pci lane would require a GFX at the end of it?

i'm not in need of several monitors at all, i'm just passionately curious :)

7. cube macrumors G5

The MBP is broken. It should have one connector for 10Gbps PCIe, and one DisplayPort 1.2 connector that can be used simultaneously. It's just a damned port issue, all the chips are already inside.