Thunderbolt Plug & Play????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayleywow, Dec 20, 2013.

1. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow

Hi Guys

Is Thunderbolt Plug & Play, I can plug in an external monitor without shutting down my MBP first???

What is the procedure I should follow when unplugging???

Example of my issue, I use an external display with a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter, (Genuine Apple Adapter) when my MBP goes to sleep my external keyboard will wake the MBP but I wont get any signal on the external display until I unplug the thunderbolt and reconnect it????

Also I use another thunderbolt to DVI adapter for my TV, and occasionally I have to follow the same process as above to get anything to display. this adapter is a 3rd party one..

Any help or advice would be gratefully received on this.

Hay

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I eject my thunderbolt drives & reinsert them without shutting down the MBP, for what it's worth.

3. Ai-apple macrumors regular

I use Apple Thunderbolt display and I don't have to shut anything down. It's plug and play. I don't know about using the adapter.

4. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

Thanks Guys...

Just to add to may problems when the MBP goes to sleep, it doesn't always put the external display asleep also.. very inconsistent..

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, it's plug and play. Even the old VGA ports are plug and play. I'm not sure where you got the notion you needed to restart to plug in a monitor.

Sometimes you'll need to go in the display preferences and ask the computer to detect displays as some monitors don't like playing nice with computers, but otherwise, yeah, plug and play.

6. hayleywow thread starter macrumors regular

hayleywow

The only reason I said about restarting when plugging in an external monitor, was because sometimes when my MBP has been asleep for a long time, it won't output a signal to the external display unless I unplug the adapter and re-plug it in again..