Thunderbolt port damage !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fawaz, Feb 19, 2012.

1. fawaz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    could you please help me in this !
    i have a new 27 inch Imac i bought it before one month ago.
    i tried to use this adapter :- Gefen DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter (EXT-DVI-2-MDP) to make me show my pc on Imac display and that what is adapter made for. any way i connected the DVI cable from the PC to that adapter and that adapter has mini display port output i used thunderbolt cable connected to thunderbolt port on imac, after only few seconds i noticed the port getting extremely heat and i was smelled plastic melting (from adapter side not from imac side) i did to disconnect the cable immediately. after this incident i tried test that thunderbolt port which was used with this adapter before by using HDMI cable but the issue is that thunderbolt port it doesn't work any more but the other one (which not used with the adapter) is working fine.

the question now is there any possibility the way which i connected it damage the thunderbolt port ?

sorry for my bad English, i hope you understand what i am saying :)

2. Applefan17 macrumors member

It could be just a small issue of a defective port, or it could be the cable itself.

Anyway, seeing as you just bought it a month ago, take it into your local Apple Store and they should be able to handle it from there.

3. joshaarons macrumors newbie

joshaarons

i would take it to the apple store, I wouldn't tell them you were using a 3rd party cable however. They state in the owners agreement that it technically voids your warranty, unless you purchased the cable from Apple. Anyhow, only a month old they should replace the Logic Board for you. If they won't, we def fix those issues here at MicroReplay. You would probably be looking in the $500 range, but like I said, fight and make Apple replace it. Once you do that, buy the apple MDP/Thunderbolt cable. However, thunderbolt is for file transfer not video. If you are just trying to do video, I suggest getting an adapter just meant for video.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2011 iMacs can only be an external monitor for other Thunderbolt Macs. Only the 2010 models can take mini-DisplayPort video.