Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markedman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Appears that the Thunderbolt Port frys Mini-Display adapters on boot.
I have 2 Mac Book Pro 13" machines that we have tested this with and we experienced identical results with both the mini-display to DVI and the min-display to VGA adapters.

On boot it appears that the port is sending power across the line and the Thunderbolt port is capable of sending 10 watts. This is frying the adapters. If you plug it in after the machine is booted it works fine, so it is happening during the POST. We have toasted 3 DVI adapters and 1 VGA adapter across two machines in verifying this. All of the adapters were Apple brand.

Opened a case with Apple Care and the tech told me this was a known issue and that I needed to bring the affected machines down to the store for repair. I have an appointment next Wednesday and will post an update after that.

mike2732

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Appears that the Thunderbolt Port frys Mini-Display adapters on boot.
I have 2 Mac Book Pro 13" machines that we have tested this with and we experienced identical results with both the mini-display to DVI and the min-display to VGA adapters.

On boot it appears that the port is sending power across the line and the Thunderbolt port is capable of sending 10 watts. This is frying the adapters. If you plug it in after the machine is booted it works fine, so it is happening during the POST. We have toasted 3 DVI adapters and 1 VGA adapter across two machines in verifying this. All of the adapters were Apple brand.

Opened a case with Apple Care and the tech told me this was a known issue and that I needed to bring the affected machines down to the store for repair. I have an appointment next Wednesday and will post an update after that.

April Fool's? I thought we would have heard about this by now, I'm sure many people keep their laptops connected to external monitors all the time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Can you post a link to this issue on Apple's site? Sounds like something serious seeing I use an external adapter to connect to projectors and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.