Thunderbolt port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jona330, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Jona330 macrumors member

Hi,

I have a Mac that i am trying to capture video from a cannon hv30 camcorder (tape based).

I am using a thunderbolt adapter and FireWire cable. The cable shows up in the system report as connected, but using iMovie and final cut the camcorder does not show.

I have been speaking with Cannon who are advising the thunderbolt port is only an output device as far as they are aware, they cannot offer any advise on how to get this working.

I have tried the cables on both an Imac and Mac mini, but still no joy:eek:

I have seen various threads on this but appears no definite answer, can anybody advise on the thunderbolt only being for output?

Cheers

Jona

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... they are all wet there. TB is input and output. So you have a Thunderbolt to FW adapter going to the FW cable to the camcorder? That should work.

If you open Finder can you see the camcorder mounted there as a device?

3. Jona330 thread starter macrumors member

No camcorder not mounted as device, tried 3 different camcorders and two different macs

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is the TB to FW adaptor from Apple? Do you have a drive or something to attach to make sure it works?

5. Jona330 thread starter macrumors member

Yes genuine Apple adapter, not sure what I could attach it to, only have camcorders

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Try reading through this forum. It has some good suggestions. I Don't have the camera so I don't know your issue but I read through this forum.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7594_102-301704/how-to-connect-canon-vixia-hv30-to-imac/

I know it says iMac but there is talk about FireWire and thunderbolt.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry, I am out of ideas. But that setup will definitely import data. Maybe some of the ideas in the thread jonbravo77 posted will help.

8. Jona330 thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for the replies will read the article, cheers

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not much help but just to say it should work. I have a Cannon HV30 (nice camera) and routinely connect it to my mac via a 4pin to FW 800 cable which plugs into the apple firewire adapter and then into the thunderbolt port. When I select import from FCP or iMovie when the camera is on and in VCR mode (play) its detected and I can import just fine. When I can't find that adapter cable I use a 4pin to FW400 cable plugged into a drive enclosure and then a FW 400 to 800 cable to the Mac in a daisy chain. Both methods work fine. Not sure how to trouble shoot, but you may want to check your import settings. I didn't have to touch a thing as the defaults worked fine. I know some have had bad or substandard cables that gave them fits.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4